Generalizations about New Yorkers? Give me a Break

As a student who was raised in New York all her life, I was torn in my reaction to Santino Carnevale’s whiny diatribe. Part of me wanted to laugh, but an even bigger part of me pitied the poor misinformed soul. Aside from all his sarcastic comments about what you’ll find in New York (which can probably be found in any city in the US), what annoyed me that most was his characterization of New York as “the most arrogant people” he’s ever met. Exactly how many New Yorkers has he met and exactly how many times has he visited New York? Are a few thousand college aged New Yorkers representative of a city with millions of residents. Of course not and I highly doubt he has met every New Yorker at BU. Don’t you think that by college most people would know better than to make stupid generalizations about a group of people? He also says that he’d take Providence or Boston over a “crime ridden, drug infested” New York City. Don’t kid yourself pal, you can find drugs and crime in Boston as well as any other US city, and if you disagree with this fact you’re extremely naive. And as if he hadn’t embarrassed himself enough, he tells homesick New York students to go home because “no one wants your loud mouth here anyway”…..since when did he become the voice of all Boston residents and since when did he think that we’d care so much about his little pet peeve as to just pick up and leave. So here’s my final message to Mr. Carnevale: If you don’t like us New Yorkers, then fine, it’s no skin off our backs, but don’t make stupid generalizations about us, because you should be old enough to know better.

Jasmine C. Marrero CAS ’04