Islam and tolerance

To the Editor:

I commend Mr. Aarif Morbi for his defense of a tolerant Islam and hope that his voice will be heard among Muslims.

However, he is incorrect in several matters of fact. The first is that radical Islam and its accompanying terrorism represent only a tiny fraction of Muslim opinion worldwide. A Gallup poll of February 26, 2002 carried out in six Islamic countries revealed about one third of Muslims believed that the attack of 9/11 on the United States was justified. Surprisingly, the highest percentage of agreement was found in Kuwait, which American troops liberated from Iraq in 1991. In Kuwait, 36% believed that the 9/11 attack on the US was justified. Thus, a very significant minority in the Muslim world, not a tiny fraction, support the terrorism of 9/11, even though they themselves may not actively participate.

The second matter concerns the Koran, which Mr. Morbi claims to have read, and what advice it gives regarding unbelievers. The Koran is open to interpretation, but there can be little question about the meaning of surahs such as the following: “Fight against such as those to whom the Scriptures were given [i.e. Jews and Christians]…until they pay tribute out of hand and are utterly subdued.” (Surah 9:27-) or, “Prophet make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their home.” (Surah 9:73) or, “Believers, make war on the infidels who dwell around you. Deal firmly with them.” (Surah 9:121-).

The final matter relates to Islam and tolerance of other religions. Wherever Islam is taken to be the law of the land, such as in Saudi Arabia, there is almost no tolerance for non-Muslims. For example, the following is found in a 10th grade textbook used in all Saudi public schools: “It is compulsory for the Muslims to be loyal to each other and to consider the infidels their enemy.” (New York Times, 10/20/2001). Non-Muslims are not allowed to worship in public nor are any churches or synagogues permitted in Saudi Arabia. It is a capital crime in Saudi Arabia for a person to convert to Christianity or Judaism – a crime usually punished by public beheading. Activities such as handing out Bibles are crimes. The wearing of religious symbols, such as a crucifix, in public is illegal. No private religious schools for non-Muslims are permitted. (US Department of State, Report on Religious Freedom, 2002).

Sincerely,

M.B. Siroky, MD Professor, School of Medicine