More and more questions after a history of stability

A mere four months ago, it seemed the Boston University community knew exactly what it had in its top administrators. From a six-year president who seemed cemented in his seat, much to the chagrin of students pushing changes to the long-hated Guest Policy, to a chancellor many expected to remain for life and whose more and more infrequent public speaking appearances still managed to draw the ire of students and faculty alike, stability seemed like the university’s modus operandi.

But that all changed July 9.

Former President Jon Westling abruptly resigned that mid-summer day, citing a sudden urge to return to the classroom after more than 20 years in the university’s administration. Only four months later, students and faculty must once again come to grips with the sudden high-level resignation of another top BU figure — Board of Trustees Chairman Richard B. DeWolfe — the man many thought to have forced Westling’s resignation to solidify his own hold on power within the university.

Though marked by wide-scale reform and faculty strife, John Silber’s 25-year reign from 1971 to 1996 seemed to establish a normal set of operating standards for the university, which were only continued during Westling’s time in office. Many credit Silber with changing BU from a low-quality, backwater school to a nationally ranked, top-notch institution. Westling only continued Silber’s work, setting fundraising standards during each of his six presidential years and maintaining the university’s up-and-coming reputation as a school ready to break into the top tier.

And though DeWolfe will have only headed the university’s managerial board for a little more than a year-and-a-half when he officially resigns in January, it was his vision that was expected to guide the university to even greener pastures.

Now uncertainty seems to surround the future of some of the university’s top positions. Quick and surprising resignations, as the university community has sustained twice in the past few months, seemed out of the question only a few short months ago.

College of Fine Arts interim Dean Walt Meissner, a BU alumnus himself, attempted to add some perspective to yesterday’s new revelations.

“Changes in leadership are common in large organizations like this,” he said, attributing yesterday’s surprise to the community’s lack of preparedness for leadership change. “We’ve been spoiled because we’ve had more stability in the presidency.”

But the two resignations have striking similarities. After Westling insisted during the days following his resignation that his desires to return to teaching were genuine, DeWolfe revealed in a late-summer interview with The Boston Globe that he had, in fact, suggestively talked to Westling during the months prior to his prompt exit. Now DeWolfe is the one insisting he is giving up his high-prestige position to pursue a new business venture, only months after quitting his old one and collecting $149 million in the process.

And the rumors started right when the story broke. Some speculated that DeWolfe’s move came after pressure from trustees unhappy with the way he handled the Westling situation. Still others, including BU spokesman Kevin Carleton, insisted DeWolfe was telling the truth about a new business venture in his Nov. 14 letter to Trustees, warning of his impending departure.

“The key point to look at here is that he recently sold his business,” Carleton said. “Something like that will give a person a different perspective on life.”

We may well find out for sure in the upcoming months — after all, as university officials learned this summer, it is tough to keep more than 50 power-rearing individuals quiet for long.