Response to Stemmer and Kaplowitz

To start a campaign of negative articles concerning Palestinian and Israeli issues is counter-productive. Mr. Stemmer and Mr. Kaplowitz miss the point of Mr. Blough’s comments. Mr. Blough is not the first to point out Elie Wiesel’s hypocritical views regarding the conflict in the middle east. Mr. Wiesel, as well as all pro-zionist activists, despite preaching love and peace all over the world, would draw a line when it comes to the brutal, inhumane and racist treatment of Palestinians in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, two areas that are until today illegally occupied territories by Israel. These are the facts.

As a witness to and survivor of Israel’s 1982 invasion of Lebanon, I can tell you that the members of the Israeli army are no angels. Under the leadership of a Ariel Sharon, a convicted war criminal, who happens today to be Israel’s Prime Minister, Israeli troops have murdered innocent civilians and assassinated political and religious leaders, just like they are doing now in the Occupied Territories. From 1982 to 2000, Israeli planes bombed continuously civilian targets, including apartment buildings, power stations, bridges and United Nations refugee centers. You might remember the 1996 Grapes of Wrath operations, which resulted in the murder of 108 civilians and 2 UN personnel in the town of Qana, South Lebanon.

Although I do not agree at all with Hezbollah’s social views or political ambitions, I, and countless other Lebanese and Arabs, give credit to Hezbollah for ending the Israeli occupation of Southern Lebanon. Hezbollah proved to be a fearless adversary. Their objective was the removal of Israeli forces from Lebanon, and they were extremely successful. Hezbollah’s actions have been greatly rewarded by the Lebanese population. Hezbollah party members were first elected to the Lebanese Parliament in 1992, but today make up 10% of that legislative body, a political force that can not be ignored.

I would like to conclude by saying that it is very easy for both Israeli and Palestinian supporters to continue this debate by claiming that each side is more right than wrong. The facts are that both sides are wrong on many issues, and both sides are right on many other issues. Our role today as students of this University, members of this community, and citizens of this world, is to sit down and try to communicate to find the best solution to this problem. We have to set aside all our differences and focus on the main dillema: how to co-exist peacefully. The first step to achieve this objective is to get rid of the leaders who have put us in this quagmire. That means Sharon and his hawks, Arafat and his entourage, as well as most of the undemocratic and dictatorial regimes in the area, starting with Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, and Iraq. I can tell you that all the peoples of the Middle East are sick and tired of this situation, and a solution can’t be found quickly enough.

Rami Salman, MET ’03