Muslim students share traditions at break fast

Muslim and non-Muslim Boston University students and members of the community feasted on hummus, tandoori chicken, falafel and baba gannoush last night, to celebrate the breaking of a day of fasting for Ramadan at the United Community Iftar.

The event, which was held at the Metcalf Ballroom, was sponsored by the Islamic Society at Boston University to provide non-Muslims with a clearer understanding of Islam and the sacred month of Ramadan, according to club members.

The second floor of the George Sherman Union was decorated with a display of prayer rugs and colorful posters explaining the meaning of Islam and the five pillars of faith: Shahada, or affirmation; Salat, or prayer; Zakat, or almsgiving; Siyam, or fasting; and Hajj, or pilgrimage. The posters also provided simple factual information about the Muslim world, including total population of Muslims around the world and the definition of Islam, which means to achieve peace with oneself, God and God’s creations.

‘This is a great way to reach out to the student body,’ said Islamic Society member and College of Arts and Sciences senior Nancy Khalil. ‘Many students interact with Muslim students, but don’t know what they do. This is a good way to get to know that.’

According to Khalil, during the month of Ramadan, the Islamic community at BU holds daily Iftars, Arabic for break fasts, and daily prayer services.

For Adiba Ali, a freshman in the College of Engineering, the United Community Iftar was a chance to increase awareness of Islam and the significance of Ramadan throughout the campus.

‘This is to break the barriers,’ said Ali. ‘There are so many stereotypes of Islam today.’

Islamic Society president Salman Shazeeb agreed.

‘There are lots of misconceptions about Islam in the media,’ said Shazeeb, a junior in the College of Engineering. ‘The purpose of this event is to clear that up and bring the community together.’

Muslim men and women participated in a community prayer in the small ballroom adjacent to the Metcalf Ballroom prior to the dinner. According to Dania Alangary, a Tufts University graduate student, Muslims pray five times a day. On Ramadan, they add a sixth prayer called the Taraweeh, or night prayer, Alangary said.

‘During Ramadan we worship and we do charity,’ Alangary said. ‘It’s about good deeds and attitudes. It is about the interaction between people, not just the individual. The main purpose of fasting is to feel how poor people feel, who don’t have food in their stomachs.’

Before the dinner, ushers for the event gave dates to entering guests. It is Muslim tradition to break the fast with dates, milk and honey.

In addition to dinner, which was catered by Madina Market and Boston Shawarma, approximately 250 guests also watched a slide show that gave more information on Islam and its myths. One slide dispelled the myth that Islam oppresses women by stating that Islam actually grants women the rights to such freedoms as education and ownership of property.

Another slide dismissed the controversial myths regarding the concept of jihad. The slide claimed the myth that jihad means ‘holy war’ is incorrect because jihad means ‘the struggle for justice.’

Khalil and Mohammed Kazim, a junior in the College of Engineering, read a passage from Chapter 24 of the Koran after the dinner.

‘It is a part of the Koran that explains Islamic spirituality,’ Kazim said.

Hassan El-Alami, assistant director of Muslim American Society’s Administrative Department, closed the event with a speech explaining the fundamentals of Islam and the purpose of Ramadan.

‘Ramadan is a special time of the year when humans reconnect with their creator through rituals,’ said El-Alami. ‘There is a special feeling in the heart that Allah is watching us and taking care of us.’

El-Alami also explained other rituals beyond fasting that are practiced during Ramadan.

‘We try to stay away from sins, like cheating and telling the untruth. If I can have the will to stay away from the unfaithful, then I will be able to control unfaithful acts,’ said El-Alami.

‘Humans have the will to do good or bad in this month,’ he continued. ‘They must choose to abstain from material life and be with God. Allah will give them all that they want and more.’