STAFF EDIT: Oppose threats to abortion

Thirty years after the Roe v. Wade decision legalized abortion in every state, the landmark case is in more jeopardy now than ever. While the threat to a woman’s right to choose has been slightly blown out of proportion, the composition of the current government and recent legislation that undermines abortion do create legitimate cause for concern.

Most of the ruckus focuses on the precarious one-vote pro-choice majority in the Supreme Court. Even if the balance shifts, the Supreme Court is unlikely to overturn Roe v. Wade, especially if President Bush hopes for re-election in 2004. If a vacancy in the court appears anytime soon, a potential judge’s abortion stance will come into play. However, the President and Congress will need to search for a fair judge with strong beliefs and a strong overall record of upholding constitutional principals, rather than using abortion as a sole litmus test. Using the issue of abortion to ‘Bork’ nominees could backfire on pro-choice advocates and lead representatives and their constituents to dismiss their arguments as too strident and extreme. Pro-life proponents have had great success discrediting opponents as ‘feminazis;’ overly antagonistic behavior just adds fuel to their arguments.

With conservatives controlling the White House, the House of Representatives and the Senate, the more important threat comes from laws that undermine abortion’s legitimacy. For example, the ‘Global Gag Rule’ basically bans federal funding for any overseas organizations that even mention abortion in their work, even if most of that work focuses on providing contraceptives and education. Also, the unborn child murder laws in many states mean criminals can be prosecuted for two deaths if they kill a pregnant woman, and the laws set a dangerous precedent by declaring a fetus a person.

These laws put the right to choose in danger, and citizens need to keep a watchful eye on further attempts to limit abortion. The ‘Global Gag Rule’ also ignores a prime reason why abortion rates are the lowest ever since 1973 better sex education. While the morning-after pill, higher abortion costs, better contraceptive availability and fears of attacks on abortion facilities are other probable causes for lower rates, education is the most likely and important factor. People must know all of their options to make the best decision for them, and portraying abstinence as the only way is both unrealistic and dangerous when pushing abstinence leaves young people ignorant about contraception and how to deal with pregnancy.

Almost all college students have grown up accepting the Roe v. Wade decision as fact and have never had to seriously consider coathangers or a trip to Mexico if they decide not to have a child. To protect abortion, pro-choice students must vocally support the right to choose and openly oppose laws that threaten to abortion availability, while emphasizing the importance and impact of the Supreme Court’s decision over the past 30 years. With strong widespread support and quality sex education, Roe v. Wade and a woman’s control over her body will stand firmly for more than another 30 years to come.