Treat Chelsea with respect

As a commuter student from the town of Chelsea, Mass., Blayne Beacham’s perspective on doing jury duty in Chelsea was both disturbing and saddening (“Jury duty tries patience as inept lawyers prevent justice,” Jan. 23, pg. 11). I was saddened that justice was not served and disturbed because Blayne Beacham was unable to see the reason why a criminal was set free.

Chelsea is a fairly poor community, which only a few years ago was faced with bankruptcy due to corruption and mismanagement. We have a large immigrant population trying to establish themselves in this country. The oil that heats Boston’s homes is stored in massive tanks that dot Chelsea’s coast. That new runway everyone is up in arms about? Yes, Chelsea is one of those communities affected. I am not trying to write a sob story.

However, Blayne Beacham’s contemptuous treatment of Chelsea and its people angers me greatly. Why were the lawyers “so bad” and stupid? Probably because their clients could not afford to hire better lawyers. Why was she waiting at bus stop with “half the population of Chelsea?” Because Chelsea does not have the “T” access more affluent communities have.

Please realize how fortunate we all are before you go around looking down on others. The perspective paints Blayne Beacham’s visit to Chelsea as an interesting anthropological experiment, but for many people, it is reality. The least you can do is treat them with the dignity they deserve.