John Sabo Needs a Message from the Real World

Dear Editor:

In four years at BU, nothing sparked enough emotion in me to actually sit down to write a letter to the Free Press. It’s a shame that it hasn’t been a major accomplishment of a BU alumni, or a landmark discovery of the BU faculty, but rather the insane actions of a child that have made me, and the entire Boston community, sit up and take notice.

On September 22, 2002, John Sabo disgraced himself, the BU Hockey Team, and the entire BU community by losing complete control of any judgment he may have had and beating a fellow student so badly that only 8 hours of surgery could attempt to repair the damage that Sabo had done. Of course, asking Sabo for a reason that could even come close to defending his absurdity that night is pointless – there is nothing defendable about what he did. So, I ask you, John, what were you thinking; something must have been going through your head.

Sabo,and many other members of the BU hockey team, suffer from a painful delusion – that anyone outside of the BU community will ever care what they can do on skates. Here is a message from the real world – you cannot walk on water, you are not a hero, and in five years, Jack Parker and your mothers will be the lone members in your fan club. The fact that some put you on a pedestal now because you can put a puck in a net will mean nothing after you leave the comforts of BU.

I hope the BU administration realizes its role now is to be a respectable institution that is fair to all of its students, not solely its “heroes.” Surely, if the “average” student paying $35,000 tuition were to commit this brainless act, he or she would be expelled immediately. So, I challenge BU to live up to what its students expect – treat Sabo with the same care. Do not allow him to continue his season and give alumni more reasons to be ashamed of their degree from BU.

Sincerely,

Katie Luddy School of Management, 2002