Of course BU has more than hockey

I’m still trying to figure out what Craig Washington really meant by writing his letter, “BU has more than hockey,” last Friday (Feb. 14, pg. 9). The article which he was commenting on was meant to be positive (“BU celebrates win in GSU,” Feb. 11, pg. 1). Instead, he decided to pay attention to something so petty and take everything into the wrong context. You’ve taken two different accounts and put them together to make some sort of conclusion. I’ll try not to make this a personal attack on Craig, but I’d like to clear a few things up for him. The people he happens to tell not to ever call themselves sports fans may not think they are, but they are. Craig’s not the judge of anything. If anything … he just insulted one of your own.

Still, Boston University is a great hockey school and always will be known as one. What’s so wrong with that? Besides, there’s also more to a school or sports pride than attending the other games as well. Are the people who can’t make it to the games, which occurs pretty often, any less of sports fans? I support my teams by the fact that I attend this school. I’m sure it bothers people like Craig, but not everyone takes sports as seriously as he does.

I mean, thanks for trying to make the push for equality among all varsity sports within BU. It’s true, we could use a lot more fans to support our athletic program. But isn’t it odd when students are enticed to go watch games in exchange for free stuff? I guess you should scold the rest of the student population that didn’t show up to the particular game you attended.

Lastly, please don’t hate me for this, but if you’re such a seasoned junior, I happily mention that most students never actually have to buy tickets to a BU game. Any “true” sports fan here at BU would suggest that you only need a sports pass. However, I’ll give Craig benefit of the doubt that he didn’t really mean the word “buy.”

I’m unsure why I even took the time to write about something so trivial, too. I never understood why people we so serious about the littlest things. Don’t we ever have opinions on more important stuff? Well, props to Craig for writing what he thought, but his ignorance kills me. I also hope to never write something that mundane, but I think I just did.