‘T’ hikes fares by 25 cents

Subway passengers will have to drop an extra quarter in the ‘T’ fare collector beginning in January 2004, as part of the MBTA’s proposed fare increase.

One-way subway fares will increase from $1 to $1.25, while above-ground outbound service will remain free. Bus prices will rise from 75 cents to $1, and commuter rail, monthly pass and commuter boat fares will also increase.

The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority’s board of directors passed the hike at its meeting last Thursday in response to an overwhelming budget crisis, though it has not yet been officially approved through public hearings, which occur in the fall, according to MBTA spokeswoman Lydia Rivera.

‘We are experiencing a significant debt,’ she said.

Revenues have also fallen recently, due to a 5 percent drop in ridership in the past year, Rivera said. The increase is expected to balance the budget by bringing an added $25 million in revenues to the agency.

The agency has also tried to compensate for the budget crisis through layoffs and an increase in parking fees, and is attempting to eliminate commuters sneaking on without paying.

‘We have launched a fare evasion campaign, where we more or less direct our employees to be more aware of people not paying the fares,’ Rivera said. ‘Everyone should have to pay to ride the ‘T.”

The fare hike is not uncommon throughout the country, however, with New York City metro prices increasing from $1.50 to $2 this May.

‘Every place is suffering [due to the economy], so it shouldn’t be that stunning,’ Rivera said.

Among the agency’s ‘financial burdens’ is its Night Owl bus service, implemented two years ago, offering extended weekend evening coverage. Its budget was cut back to $1.3 million as opposed to the previous $4 million, according to Rivera, but the service still is onerous to the agency.

The ‘T”s last fare increase was in September 2000, upping the price from 85 cents to $1.

Boston students were outraged at the increase, saying the price was not worth the service.

‘It’s ridiculous, seeing as how BU East [stop] hasn’t been open all semester,’ said Grant Myers, a junior in the College of Communication. ‘I can’t see how they can justify raising it a quarter if they can’t give something new.’

Vito Giacalone, a freshman in the College of Fine Arts, said a quarter per ride adds up to a significant expense.

‘I can only afford to take the ‘T’ outbound and above ground, except when I need to get someplace far fast,’ he said, ‘and even then, it’s usually quicker to walk.’

Rima Patel, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said the extra quarter is inconvenient to commuters.

‘An even dollar is enough, but raising it to $1.25 makes an added pressure of a quarter you have to scrounge for,’ she said. ‘It’s a stupid idea.’

Jonah Mitro, a junior at Boston College, agreed that the hike was uncalled for.

‘We’re students, we don’t have any money,’ he said. ‘They have a monopoly on student transportation.’

A series of public hearings will be held in the fall to gauge Bostonians’ reaction to the fare increase.