Terriers grab more hardware

It took a total team effort to for the Boston University women’s basketball team to bring home their first ever America East Championship. Appropriately, three Terriers were named to the all-championship team. Bringing some extra hardware back to Boston were junior guard Katie Terhune, senior guard Alison Argentieri and sophomore forward Larissa Parr.

Terhune was named the championship’s Most Outstanding Player after averaging 17.6 points and five rebounds per game in the tournament. Despite being the focus of every opposing team’s defense, Terhune managed to lead the Terriers in scoring in each game.

In the Terriers’ miraculous first-round comeback against Northeastern University, Argentieri pressured the Huskies’ guards for four steals and then matched Terhune’s game-high 17 points in the Terriers semi-final victory over the University of Vermont. Her scoring was helped by a six-of-six effort from the free throw line in the closing minutes of the game. In the finals against the University of Maine, Argentieri scored 10 points twice knocking down huge three pointers to halt Black Bear runs.

Parr averaged 7.3 rebounds per game over the three games, tops among all Terriers, while averaging 11.3 points per game. Parr was a consistent scoring threat for BU, scoring in double figures each game. In the first half of the Vermont game, Parr hit two key three pointers to spark the Terriers’ two big first half runs of 15-0 and 10-0.

The Terriers were just the third team ever to place three members on the all-tournament team. Vermont accomplished the feat in 2000 and 1992.

THE AWARD GOES TO…

Three Terriers received America East season awards, given out prior to the start of the conference tournament on Thursday.

Freshman sensation Katie Meinhardt was named America East Rookie of the Year, after leading all first-year players in scoring, averaging 11.2 points per game. Meinhardt was the Terriers’ second leading scorer behind Terhune, and showed incredible poise for a freshman, delivering clutch shots whenever called upon.

Meinhardt was named Rookie of the Week four times, and battled back from a pre-season injury to her elbow to put together one of the finest freshman campaigns in BU history.

For the second consecutive year, Terhune has been named to the All-Conference First Team. Averaging 17.2 points per game this season, Terhune currently sits third all-time on the Terrier scoring list. Terhune is joined on the First Team by Stony Brook University forward Sherry Jordan, University of New Hampshire center Maren Matthias, Vermont guard Morgan Hall and Maine forward Heather Ernest, the America East Player of the Year.

After losing out to Maine guard Kim Corbitt for the Defensive Player of the Year award, junior forward Marisa Moseley was named to All-Conference Third Team. Moseley was tops in the conference in steals with 2.56 per game and ranked second in blocked shots with 1.3 per game.

Moseley headed a Terrier defense that ranked in the nation’s top 20 in steals per game and took on increased responsibility on the offensive end late in the season to relieve pressure off of the team’s top scorers.

TWICE IS NICE

With their recent run through the America East Tournament, the Terriers raised their overall record to 16-14, ensuring themselves of finishing the season with a winning record for the second consecutive season, posting a 17-11 record last season. The last BU teams to accomplish this feat were the ’88-’89 and ’89-’90 squads, which posted records of 15-13 and 16-13, respectively. Those two seasons came at the end of a string of five consecutive winning seasons for the Terriers.