American Power in the 21st Century

In the recent weeks the Daily Free Press has published a flurry of letters dealing with the conflict in Iraq. None of the letters I have seen have been effective in swinging intellectual public support for or against the war. The pro-war letters usually call the anti-war camp unpatriotic and ignorant to global affairs while the antiwar letters cite greed and moral weakness within the pro-war camp. Even if one of these letters were to have validity (I do not care to entangle myself in this debate), forcing one’s opposition to admit to moral or intellectual weakness is nearly impossible and only creates greater rifts and larger feelings of animosity within the American people. I suggest the debate be taken away from philosophical or intellectual weakness and towards effects on future American power and security. Within this new debate, factual information can be discussed and philosophical/intelligence arguments left out. The anti-war camp may feel that abandoning a moral premise is in and of itself immoral, but if the new debate is examined more closely, a logical argument against the war (at this time) may become possible. This logical argument would be in the best interests of American power and security. National security is exactly what the pro-war camp desires, so by logically proving that this war is against best interests of the United States, all parties are satisfied. While some pro-war supporters may claim to already be acting in the best interest of national security, their focus seems to be only on the next year or so, not the long term effects that will be so crucial in future American power and security. Within this argument, dealing only with current and long-term future American power and security, logical conclusions can be drawn and individual attacks can be kept to a minimum. If the arguments are carefully and effectively made, the debate’s conclusion may be supported by both pro and anti-war supporters. Again I urge you to bring logical and well thought out ideas to the debate on American power versus the war in Iraq. Through this debate, an agreement between pro and anti-war supporters may become possible.

Will Dixon ENG ’06 wrdixon@bu.edu 617-352-7434