Needling Under the Sun: Broader picture above the streets

We all know that kid who speaks during class at inappropriate times. He’s in your face, loud, obnoxious, adamant and stuck in his ways. He seems to love hearing himself speak more than listening or learning and his questions are directed to last night’s reading. He doesn’t know when to comment, when to question and when to stop talking. Like a hyper hamster running on a wheel, he’s trying so hard to move up without the proper equipment that he doesn’t realize he’s merely left running circles.

So is the sad story of the protester in the streets right now. Debate the pros and cons of protesting as an art all day; I’ll sit idly by watching a seesaw tip up and down. As with any debate, including whether or not we should go to war with Iraq, it will most likely not reach consensus. There are too many historical and practical advantages and disadvantages. However, the outcome lies in the future.

The overall effect of protests right now is they’re doing more harm than good for global relations. Extreme leftists, please humor me and take what our government is saying at face value. Let’s assume the intent of this war is to fight a ruthless dictator harboring lethal biological and chemical weapons. Let’s suppose the American government plans to establish a democracy in Iraq and liberate the Iraqis from an oppressive regime as well as work toward at least partially cleansing the world of terrorist regimes and independent terrorist groups. For a moment in time, the war on terror is a legitimate attempt at making the world a safer place, oil royalties, past international slip-ups and political agendas aside. Then what place do protesters have in the scheme of things?

The Bush administration and a handful of international leaders made it abundantly clear that the war will continue as planned and they won’t respond to protests. By protesting now, you’re protesting more than a war. You’re joining the international community in protesting America, and the very democracy and ideals you’re seeking to uphold.

What the protesters are doing is more fundamentally devastating to the future of America and the world. They’re increasing the anti-American sentiment that is already pervasive internationally and was one of the major factors motivating the Sept. 11 hijackers. More Americans are becoming anti-American and America’s future leaders its college students are joining forces abroad with international people in promoting anti-Americanism. Why is this dangerous?

Because America as an establishment does the world more good than bad.

If leftists are still humoring me, then America is trying to rid the world of a bad guy. However, perhaps less noticeable is America’s overall role globally.

Thomas Friedman, a New York Times columnist, wrote that America upholds ‘global security and financial stability.’ Whether you agree we’ve executed this task well or not, it still remains our task as the dominant global player.

America provides public goods such as ‘keeping sea-lanes open, stabilizing the free trade system and beating back bad guys in Iraq.’ These are things everyone can benefit from, Friedman says.

‘History teaches that peace occurs when you have a benign power that is ready to provide public services to maintain an orderly global system.’ If America operates correctly, it has the unilateral ability to one day achieve that international peace, more so than any other nation. Friedman said in 2001, ‘The greatest danger today is not European anti-Americanism, but American anti-Americanism.’ That statement made about three months prior to Sept. 11 is even more relevant now.

So begs the question: What can I do? This unveils the true temptation underlying protest: it lends a sense of purpose. If you don’t agree with the way our government is working right now or how it has worked in the past and feel powerless, you become inclined join something larger to pressure change. It’s all right to make your voice heard, but don’t try to cripple the machine by hitting it at its weakest point; try to improve it.

A few things that may help improve the overall operation of America the facillitator (not America the aggressor): campaign finance reform to limit the influence of money in elections and get the right people into office, tightening domestic security so we are less vulnerable, spending more on education and working toward tolerance and improved cultural relations. These are productive things to learn about and fight for, within our means, to help improve America in the future.

If all else fails to fulfill the need to take immediate action, there is still one thing to keep in your hopefully open mind: if we students are here to learn, maybe we don’t know everything yet.

[ Amy Horowitz, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences and College of Communication, is a weekly columnist for The Daily Free Press. ]