In response to “Time to support those fighting for freedom”

In response to Christopher R. Daniel’s opinions regarding those who are opposed to the current war in Iraq, I would like to provide an opinion that is not suffocated by anti-war and pro-war statistics. Stop reading now if you are hoping for liberal oversimplifications or conservative propaganda. I am writing because I am offended. Christopher’s belief that the “one in four Americans who still oppose the war should support their peers or keep their mouths shut” is nonsensical. Whether we are fighting for the freedom of the oppressed or control of oil fields, if we do not exercise the rights that the soldiers in Iraq are fighting to preserve, then we are fighting for nothing. Do not dismiss Michael Moore and his views because he received a couple boos at the Oscars. While Michael Moore often uses skewed statistics, makes oversimplified statements, and discredits himself by childishly insulting his opposition, he is not being un-patriotic. Apathy and indifference are dangerous and un-patriotic, not a fat guy with a camera and a point of view. In his article, Christopher offered himself as an example of a patriotic and respectful citizen of the U.S. He described himself as a rich, gun-owning Republican who drives an SUV. While Christopher is entitled to all of these material possessions, I take offense to the fact that he feels entitled to what America provides him, but feels that others are not entitled as well. I am not rich and I can’t afford an SUV, but America provides me with the freedom to speak my mind. I am entitled to this just as much as Christopher is entitled to his affluence. For many Americans, this war will most likely have few repercussions. The stakes are much less for many people like Christopher. He does not have to risk his life, and if the economy continues to plummet, Christopher might have to drive a Honda Civic while others may have to leave BU for a community college. As someone who is proud to be an American and greatly appreciates the efforts of all who serve our country, I am not going to ask Christopher to keep his mouth shut. I respect his rights and am willing to stand up for his views despite the fact that I disagree with them. I do not want to hear your voice Christopher, and you may not want to hear the voice of those who protest the war, but this is America, and I love it. Peter A. Tinti CAS ’06 ptinti@bu.edu 1-203-521-6938