in response to other letters on the war

I have to say, I’m tired of reading letters from both pro-war activists and anti-war protestors continually bashing the beliefs and actions of the other side. Neither side is uninformed, and neither side deserves to be labeled “ignorant.” I for one, do not support the war against Iraq, but I hold nothing against those who do; they have formed their own opinions for their own reasons, and isn’t one of the greatest things about this country the fact that everyone is able to do that? I feel like the articles I’ve been reading resemble the way my little sisters fight with each other: “you’re stupid, I’m better than you, so I must be right.” Now, I disagree with this war for many reasons, and I have to admit one of those reasons is because my boyfriend is one of the marines fighting in Iraq, and I’m selfish and don’t want anything to happen to him. However, my opposition to this war in no way implies that I hate America or that I am supporting Iraqi troops. Why on earth would I support or offer sympathy towards people who are trying to kill my boyfriend? I fully support the troops for fighting for what they believe in and doing what our government has asked of them, even though I don’t necessarily support the decision of our government to ask them to fight in the first place. Why can’t people understand that it is possible to disagree with the war and support our troops at the same time? We don’t need people to assume all pro-war activists are “ignorant” or label protestors “anti-American.” All we need is for people to be able to tolerate the opinions of others and pray that our troops come home safely.

Laura McSparron CAS ’06 (516)987-7948