STAFF EDIT: Elect lesser of 3 evils for Union

As Student Union Executive Board elections begin today, the only truly positive aspect is that Boston University student government has some semblance of democracy. By failing to attract any decent slates, the Union has yet again proved its inability to function as an effective system, although ‘Truants’ and ‘URANUS’ do deserve praise for ensuring a democratic election and giving ‘True 2’ some opposition. Because all the slates have serious flaws, voting between today and Thursday will come down to selecting the lesser of three evils. Therefore, The Daily Free Press editorial board refuses to endorse any slate.

While the ‘Truants’ slate does represent a fresh approach and has passionate motivation to tackle large reforms, their inexperience makes it highly unlikely that they will be capable of following through on their campaign promises. Rather than attempting to learn more about the Union, which is admittedly unfamiliar to most students, they seem to prefer reveling in their blatant ignorance.

The ‘Truants’ slate members’ flippant attitude indicates their lack of desire to learn the rules of student government, and they underestimate the difficulty of accomplishing their lofty goals such as a rape crisis center. Finally, they come off as an exclusive group that does not seem likely to actively involve other branches of the Union or the student body as a whole.

Exclusivity also detracts from the ‘True 2’ slate, although more because they swing too far in the direction of appeasing the administration and their overly political demeanor distances them from average college students. Although attempting to act professional shows respect for the Union and has helped them develop relations with administrators, they should let their guard down to relate to BU students and find out if anyone else even cares about those ‘sexy’ flat-screen monitors in the George Sherman Union.

However, ‘True 2’ is the only experienced slate, and because all eight of their members have been involved with the Union this year, they know the nuts and bolts of how to run meetings and do the grunt work behind reforms. They did finalize guest policy reforms, take many surveys and have nearly completed proposals for minority retention and a 24-hour study lounge. But ‘True’ campaigned on their experience last year, and this year’s failure to accomplish major tasks or avoid petty infighting will probably only continue next year if ‘True 2’ is elected. Rather than openly addressing this year’s problems and taking responsibility, they tend to blame SUEC or SUAB. Also, they have repeatedly defied campaign rules they certainly know by now, damaging their veneer of professionalism.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, ‘URANUS’ has virtually no experience and could prove dangerously incompetent. While their sense of humor and inventive approach to campaigning may earn them votes and could get more students involved with the Union, it surely will not go over well with Silber and other administrators. Although ‘URANUS’ has managed to round up the ninja vote, they could only find half a slate. In addition to possibly wasting time and delaying action, having to appoint several positions next semester would damage their legitimacy in terms of representing the student body. Their desire to bring in new people serves both as an asset and a liability.

While ‘URANUS’ has good ideas and is particularly eager to reform the Union constitution, voters have no way of knowing whether their idealism will prove refreshing or simply naïve. They have shown initiative by running for office and have already begun to examine the constitution and attend Senate meetings to learn more. Their honesty about their lack of experience is admirable, but making up for it would require dedicated effort from now until September to solidify their slate and be prepared to run the Union. Their immature humor and gimmicks will get them and the Union nowhere without serious work too.

If ‘Truants’ are elected, the Union will probably do little more than discuss their huge goals. A vote for ‘True 2’ is a vote for the status quo and for continuing Union operations with a bare minimum of success. If ‘URANUS’ wins, they will almost certainly change the Union dramatically, although who knows whether it will be for better or worse.

Because none of the slates have convincingly indicated that they can reform and effectively operate the Student Union, The Daily Free Press cannot back a particular slate. Considering the late yet well-intentioned entry of two slates, all students should vote. The elections are thankfully taking place and will determine next year’s student leaders. Therefore, every student should vote for whichever slate he thinks will do the best job of representing him. Then next year, it will be up to those students to evaluate whether the winner has succeeded.