Mr. and Ms. BU draws 600

Jessica Venarchik and Eldrich Carr bashfully smiled before 600 students last night in the George Sherman Union’s Metcalf Hall, as they became Boston University’s first ‘Mr. and Ms. Boston University.’

Sponsored by the BU Student Union Service Council, the event showcased nine couples from each of BU’s schools, except Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences.

The audience, which at times broke into roaring laughter, cheered on the 18 contestants during the group’s humorously unrefined rendition of Pink’s ‘Get the Party Started,’ which kicked the night off.

Representing the School of Education, Venarchik and Carr competed in five categories challenging their grace, talent and creativity.

The first judged event, ‘Be You’ wear, asked the couples to display their individual style. The students presented a piece of themselves as they donned wide variety of fashion styles.

Swimsuits barely covered Mr. and Miss COM’s oiled bodies during the contest’s ‘active wear’ competition, though planners said many others did not feel comfortable with revealing as much skin. Mr. UNI wore a fencing uniform for the category.

Local businesses Jessica McClintock and Mr. Tux donated the tuxedos and dresses for the final category, ‘evening wear.’

But the category that drew the most laughter was the event’s ‘talent’ competition.

‘All we asked is that we be creative,’ Pereira said. ‘And they really delivered.’

Performances varied from the College of Engineering’s well-choreographed swing dance routine to the School of Education’s pickup line skit.

‘The first time we managed to get through the whole thing without a messing up was up on stage,’ said Mr. SED and Mr. BU, Eldrich Carr. ‘We were making mistakes 30 minutes before the performance.’

‘I’m amazed we pulled it off,’ added Ms. SED, later Ms. BU, Jessica Venarchik.

Although their skit won Venarchik and Carr the prize, the crowd’s favorite was COM’s Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake dance-off, performed in drag.

‘I think that cross-dressing will always draw laughs,’ said Erik Dawson, a freshman in COM.

The night ended with an ‘interview’ category, which posed a single question to each couple. Hosts Katy Zimmerman and Anthony Garofalo, asked questions ranging from ‘If aliens landed on earth, what would be the first thing you would tell them?’ to the traditional ‘What would you do to change the world?’

Guest appearances from the BU dance team, the ‘Dear Abbeys’ and Miss Boston 2003 added to the excitement.

All proceeds of this event will be evenly divided between Camp Hope and BU Rape Aggression Defense, Pereira said.

Camp Hope, the Ecuadorian children’s shelter, ‘has fallen on some hard times,’ Garofalo said. ‘And hopefully we can send them a big check.’

While SED claimed the title of ‘Mr. and Ms. BU,’ ENG and COM took the first and second runner-up positions, respectfully.

‘Although the show had a really shaky beginning,’ said Ayeisha Morgan, and senior in College of Arts and Sciences, ‘they really got it together.’

Unfortunately, the event was cursed with technical difficulties, including poor audio levels, shrieking or turned-off microphones and delayed music cues.

Delays and a number of contestant costume-changes forced Zimmerman and Garofalo to entertain the crowd on the spot, met mostly with lewd comments.

Pereira said he was happy with the event, which he said he wants to become a yearly show.

‘This will surely become a BU tradition from now on.’ he said.