Driven to distraction

As urban residents and students have learned to rely on the city’s cheap, accessible public transportation instead of driving, which, because of limited parking spaces and crowded streets, motivates many to leave their cars behind each year.

But with graduation approaching for seniors, forcing many to leave the metro area to find jobs, some urban dwellers now have to face the fact that a major transportation purchase may soon be in the cards. But buying that first car on nothing but a depleted college budget can be terrifying, and with so many details and choices in the new and used car market, what 22-year-old knows how to make such a purchase?

But don’t fear here’s the skinny on what not to do when attempting to make that first vehicular buy. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.

NEW OR USED: WHICH ONE WILL PAY DIVIDENDS FOR YOU?

Most experts agree buying used is a smart idea for buyers just coming out of school for several reasons. First and most important, used cars tend to be cheaper than new models. Vehicle supersite www.cars.com lists a used 1999 Nissan Altima with 28,000 miles on it for sale for $9,999. However, a standard 2003 Altima with nearly identical features lists at $17,200.

However, buying used also has its disadvantages, the biggest being it’s a more difficult, meticulous process.

Buying a new car is relatively easy you select what you want, pay for it and you’re done. On the other hand, when buying used, everything the buyer knows about the car comes directly from the previous owner, who may not be a reliable source. So both the quality of the vehicle and the trustworthiness of the seller should be considered.

To avoid getting scammed by a private seller, Sharif Erik-Soussi of the Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs that prospective buyers run a vehicle history report on any car they’re thinking of buying before plunking down any cash.

‘There are websites you can check to find out about a used car’s history like carfax.com and vehiclehistory.com,’ Erik-Soussi said. Such sites can detail the history of a car, including if its odometer has been rolled back, or if the car was previously a taxi. This information can be retrieved with the car’s Vehicle Identification Number, a 17-digit code found on title documents and dashboards. Most reports cost approximately $15.

‘These sites can also help you find out if your car has been in an accident, which is something the seller might not always tell you,’ Erik-Soussi says.

Many consumer groups also recommend inspecting any used car with a private mechanic. Though it does cost money, an independent inspection could end up saving time, repairs and hassle, especially if the mechanic finds a major problem.

Insurance for a used vehicle tends to cost less and financing is cheaper. Thousands of Americans are also choosing to lease the two- and three-year-old cars on the market that have been kept in excellent condition and at low mileages, thanks to stringent lease rules.

‘This is a great time to buy a used car,’ said Philip Reed, Consumer Advice Editor of www.edmunds.com, a consumer site for potential car buyers. ‘Cars have never been more dependable or easier to maintain.’ Reed recommends buying a factory-certified, pre-owned car straight from the manufacturer to guarantee good quality. And if you have a used car at home, you can sell it to Northern Beaches cash for cars and buy a brand new car.

Overall, experts say buying used is a smarter option for younger drivers on tight budgets, despite the extra legwork. It may be harder to find replacement parts in the future when something goes wrong, and you don’t get the satisfaction of having a new, new car, but used cars can offer a lot of bang for the buck.

WHERE DO THESE CARS COME FROM?

There are several different ways to buy a car: from a specific dealership, private owner, or used car lot. Each has pros and cons.

Dealerships are considered the most reputable places to make a purchase because they get the cars straight off the assembly line and adhere to factory standards for pre-owned vehicles. However, they tend to have high prices.

Private owners, people selling the car themselves, are often more flexible when it comes to price. Also, unlike a dealer, they offer no service after the sale. With some background checking and inspecting before you buy, you could walk away with a great deal.

But it’s the used car lots that get the worst rap, and even though such reputations aren’t always justified, check with the Better Business Bureau for information on any lot you’re planning to visit. It’s true that many independent dealers offer a wide range of merchandise at varying prices, but don’t be afraid to call in a mechanic to check out a car that seems too good to be true before you drive home.

AND JUST HOW AM I GOING TO PAY FOR ALL THIS?

Aside from the cost of the car itself, there are many other costs to consider gas, maintenance, insurance, inspections and even taxes can add up fast. Dealers sometimes charge additional fees during sales, so be sure to know your rights before you sign. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Also, check with your state consumer department for region-specific dealer guidelines.

‘In Massachusetts, a car’s advertised price must include the document prep fees, that is, all the costs involved in obtaining the car,’ Erik-Soussi said. ‘You are entitled to take the car without any of those service fees for the price listed, within five dollars.’

Similarly, Massachusetts also has a ‘Lemon Aid Law,’ which allows a buyer to get a full refund for his or her car if it fails inspection within seven days of purchase, provided the repairs will cost more than 10 percent of the purchase price. However, such rules vary from state to state, so familiarize yourself with your own state’s regulations before hitting the market.

READY TO HIT THE MARKET?

The moral of this story? Prepare, prepare, prepare. Start looking at TV ads and the classifieds and ask friends who have cars what they think of their makes and models. Visit online websites like https://www.americanlisted.com/all_states_0/cars_2/ford+highboy+4×4/, www.autotrader.com, www.cars.com, www.carbuyingtips.com and www.edmunds.com to get a good idea of what’s out there and how much you should prepare to spend.

Finally, make sure you check with your local, state or federal consumer department before buying most have websites that go into detail about car-buying, a hotline number to call with questions and printed advice on request.

‘The biggest mistake new car owners make is rushing the process,’ said Sara Cotner, a freelance automotive writer based in Louisiana. ‘The more informed you are, the better the end result will be.’

Buying a car is an intimidating prospect that will probably cause some amount of stress, no matter how prepared the buyer may be. But the more you know, the less likely you are to get ripped off or stuck with more than you need, want, or can afford.