City and state keep tight grip on security

Soon after Boston University opened its doors to students in September 2001, the Bush administration stepped up the national terrorism threat level to orange putting the nation on ‘high alert’ for the first time. And after being lowered to ‘elevated’ nearly two weeks after the first anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, the war in Iraq put the nation on the ‘orange level’ again.

It has been a year of refining and practicing anti-terrorism efforts for both the general public and public authorities. Nearly two years after the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, local authorities feel confident the new measures will prevent terrorism and protect public safety.

‘We’ve taken a number of steps to ensure safety of the commonwealth [since Sept. 11],’ said Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety spokesman David Goggin, ‘and we’re encouraging communities to work together in the [public safety] efforts.’

Measures to protect the public at the statewide level have been drastic; the creation of an anti-terrorism police force, a public terrorism tip line and a bioterrorism task force have been the most notable developments in recent months.

‘[The efforts are] twofold,’ Goggin said. ‘What were trying to do is build a terrorism network to prevent or solve a terrorist attack from occurring.’

Additionally, the Massachusetts Port Authority, the agency in charge of Logan International Airport, has revamped the airport’s entire security system. From more detailed inspections of packages to increased security personnel, Massport has taken extreme measures to prevent Logan from being used by terrorists to carry out another attack.

The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority has also focused its efforts on fighting terrorism and, within the past few months, brought in anti-terrorism experts to improve the MBTA’s anti-terrorism efforts. It also trained 5,000 employees in formal anti-terrorism procedures.

Regional medical institutions have also adapted their procedures. In March, state health authorities began a smallpox vaccination program a program sponsored by the Bush administration to vaccinate all public health and military personnel against smallpox so they can assist the public in the event of a smallpox epidemic.

According to Paul Wingle, director of communications for the Massachusetts Hospital Association, the program is underway, but has run into some snags.

‘The state had a target of 10,000 [vaccinations] this year and my guess is that they haven’t come close to that yet,’ Wingle said. ‘There have been some concerns about liability for hospitals.’

Wingle also noted that area hospitals are having trouble quarantining vaccinated staff members, as those vaccinated against smallpox are not allowed to immediately return to their jobs.

‘Hospitals aren’t sure how they will make up for the loss of staff for as many as 10 working days,’ he said. ‘There are still many answers that need to come. Hospitals want to participate in the smallpox program but they need more assurance [internally among staff] to get the vaccination numbers higher.’

However, the medical community can only prepare itself so much. According to Wingle, there are only 1,200 beds in the Boston Metropolitan area that could be freed up in the event of a major bioterrorism incident. Additionally, only 800 of those beds can be isolated in the event those who show up are carrying a highly contagious disease.

The reason more beds cannot be prepared is that it is simply not economically and logistically feasible for hospitals, according to Wingle.

Despite the lack of beds, Wingle said the state is as prepared for a major biological attack as any major city in the United States.

‘By almost every standard,’ said Wingle, ‘Massachusetts is considered as well off as any place in America.’

Financially, though, at first glance Massachusetts’ anti-terrorism efforts do not seem as well off. With the state trying to cope with its multi-billion dollar debt, cash flow for statewide safety efforts is not as readily available as it could be.

‘We’re in a fiscal crisis and we’re asking communities to do more with very tight budgets,’ Goggin said. ‘It’s a condition that all communities have to recognize and every community has to deal with this issue. We’re relying on federal funding to support our efforts.’

Despite the crisis, the federal funding on which Massachusetts is depending is coming through. The state is in the process of handing out nearly $11.7 million in Homeland Security aid to local anti-terrorism and police forces.

In addition, the national medical community has received $518 million in bioterrorism preparedness funds and looks to receive the same amount for the next fiscal year.

But with the cash flowing to anti-terrorism programs and both local and federal authorities attempting to restructure America’s security programs, some feel the government is not doing all it can to make America safe.

‘I don’t think the government is actually doing anything to make us safe,’ said College of Arts and Sciences freshman Amy McBrine. ‘[Their programs] are just a way to make people feel safe or to try to relieve their fears. Just because they are [taking out] measures to keep people safer doesn’t mean [the country] is necessarily safer.’

College of Engineering senior Sameer Doshi said he feels the government’s actions have done nothing to prevent terrorism.

‘Everything that they’ve done is completely useless,’ he said ‘[The government’s post-Sept. 11 response] doesn’t affect people who are terrorists; it only affects people who are law-abiding citizens.’

Doshi also said the Homeland Security color-coded alert system was useless.

‘The bottom alerts are completely useless and will never be used,’ he said. ‘They are put there just to make us feel safer.’

While some feel unsafe because they believe the government has not taken the right course of action against terrorism, there are others who are confident, regardless of the government’s actions.

‘I feel safe,’ said College of Communication junior Julie Murphy. ‘I feel that the purpose of the terrorist actions is to make us feel unsafe and to contradict what they are actually trying to do. I continue to feel safe. I travel to Israel and Europe. I still fly, still travel and feel completely safe.’