Red Sox Fans: Lack of Sportsmanship

I have decided that the Red Sox should change their name to the Green Sox. One may ask, is this because of the famous Green Monster in Fenway Park? No, but because of the green envy the Red Sox fans express toward other teams who have seen more success since 1918, especially the Yankees.

The Sox have played very well this year, and certainly deserve to play in the ALCS, and if they make it to the World Series, that will also be well-deserved. What I was disappointed to read in today’s DFP article is that in celebration, Red Sox fans chanted “Yankees Suck” in their usual fashion after last night’s win. What ever happened to “Let’s go Red Sox” or “We’re #1”? After having spent 6 years in Boston, I understand the legend of the Curse and all that comes along with it. What I don’t understand is why the fans wouldn’t be cheering for their own team instead of using mean-spirited chants to express their hatred of the Yankees, who have beaten the Sox for the pennant year after year out of their skills and good sportsmanship.

I recall in 2002 when the Patriots won the Super Bowl, somehow that ugly chant found its way into the Pats’ celebratory rally at City Hall. It was football for goodness sake! Quite frankly I can’t believe that so many people would act so immature and set such a poor example for New England’s young people.

Why do the Red Sox seem to have a history of making it so close to winning it all and losing? Maybe fans should look toward their own team instead of casting blame on others. Manny Ramirez could use an attitude adjustment, no, a labotomy. The management needs patience with their players; I have seen so many players traded only to be successful with their subsequent teams. OR maybe if the fans started rooting FOR their team instead of AGAINST them, the Sox would be successful. I think it’s time to stop blaming the teams who are winning and look to your team’s weaknesses to find out why you lost.

Allyson McArthur 1000 Smith Level Rd F11 Carrboro, NC 27510 919-619-6264 CAS 2001