Senate Multicultural Affairs Committee formalized

Student Union senators approved the formal extension of a Multicultural Affairs Committee created in October during Monday night’s weekly Senate meeting at the Photonics Center.

The committee, formed to unify multicultural groups on campus and help coordinate events and discussions, had been operating as a temporary body. A 26-0 vote, with two abstentions, made it a permanent committee until the end of the academic year.

Sen. Aaronthomas Green (South Campus), the committee’s chair, said many people believe multicultural groups do not want to work together, but the group’s progress has proved them wrong.

‘I think that’s a bad generalization that some people may feel, but my committee and I found out otherwise,’ he said.

During discussion before the vote, Sen. Marietta McEvilly (University Professors Program) said she has been impressed with the committee’s work over the past six weeks.

‘I can say from personal experience that they’ve done more in these few weeks than they have in the past few years combined, and that says a lot for this committee,’ she said.

Sen. Philip Wismar (South Campus) questioned formalizing the committee because the Executive Board has no vice president of Multicultural Affairs. Lauren Rodwell resigned shortly after the election, and Union President Carl Woog has not filled the position.

Green said the committee can function without a VP of Multicultural Affairs but said after the meeting that the position still needs to be filled.

‘I’ve been seeking reasons from different people as to why that position no longer exists, and I haven’t been given a satisfactory answer,’ he said.

Sen. Ernie Clarke (School of Hospitality Administration) argued to formalize the committee regardless of the vacated position.

‘If senators want to do something, why penalize them?’ he said. ‘If they want to do it, let them do it.’

Although Green said he is happy the committee was formalized, he wished the vote had been unanimous and extended the committee indefinitely.

Senators voted to table debate on formalizing the Internal Affairs Committee until committee chair Sean Smith a Myles Standish Hall senator who was absent due to illness contacts Senate Chairman Joel Fajardo.

McEvilly said she would not be opposed to dissolving the committee although she serves on it.

‘I would have to say that a lot of what goes on during the committee is a lot of talk and not too much action,’ she said. ‘I don’t know if it’s the most effective body that we’ve ever created.’

The Union created the committee on Oct. 13 to discuss ideas for reforming the Union, near the same time Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore formed a committee to investigate possible Union restructuring.

Elmore’s committee, composed of administrators, faculty members and students, is re-evaluating the Union. Sen. Jon Marker (Warren Towers), the sole Union member on the committee, said it will likely recommend changes to the body’s current composition by the end of the semester.

‘I take everything that everyone says in here to that committee,’ Marker said. ‘It’s not my voice. It’s our voice.’