BC Heights Acting With Integrity, Truth

To the Editor:

As a transfer student from Boston College to Boston University, and a former assistant editor of The Heights, I am saddened, but not surprised, by BC’s latest attempt to impinge upon the autonomy of the BC’s independent student newspaper. In this matter, much discussion has centered on the immature or unethical manner in which The Heights’ editorial board has conducted its negotiations with the University. Indeed, it is unusual for a corporation to divulge details of negotiations before the process is finalized. However, BC has acted equally immature and, perhaps, unethically and illegally in the negotiation process. It is unthinkable that a private corporation would impose its moral dogma on another independent institution; that indignity is made worse by the fact that the University – which is supposed to be based on the free exchange of ideas – feels the need to stop that exchange in a private newspaper, an institution protected by the first amendment. In this interaction, BC has not only radically failed in its mission as an educational body, but also has acted unconstitutionally in its role as a private corporation. Additionally, issues have been raised concerning the journalistic quality of The Heights and the editorial board’s decision making process. During my tenure as an editor, I was astonished by the hard work and dedication each board member and staff writer put into the production process. Every story was read numerous times, and sources were often re-contacted so as to double check accuracy. The board as a whole put great thought into its coverage of issues that could cause controversy so that the paper could maintain its independence and integrity without causing harm to the student body, faculty and alumni. Yet, unlike other newspapers on campus, such as The Observer, The Heights has refused to blindly bow to Catholic doctrine and become a mouthpiece of the University’s morality. Indeed, to allow a religion to control journalistic decisions is not only draconian, but demonstrates a fundamental flaw in the integrity of a newspaper as it skews the paper’s pursuit of the truth – the ultimate goal of any true journalistic institution. Both BC and The Observer frequently have been stunned by this brave, but essential, assertion of independence. As such, The Observer has been quick to attack The Heights on a variety of issues for the simple reason that The Heights refuses to call itself a “catholic” newspaper and color its editorials, stories and advertising practices with such an adherence. Boston College has repeatedly tried to censor The Heights and, in the past, has used the lease re-negotiation process as a way to force its morality down the throat of another corporation. Such brashness demonstrates little more than immaturity and astonishment on the parts of The Observer and Boston College that they cannot force their will or beliefs on others. The watermark of Christianity is tolerance and love. If Boston College truly wishes to continue in its Christian tradition, then it must extend such tolerance to The Heights and stop trying to interfere with the paper’s mission as a private, impartial newspaper and accept the differences in philosophies between the two groups. The Heights must remain strong and refuse to succumb to the immature wishes of an institution that is mad that it simply cannot get its own way.

Shaun M. Filiault, CAS 2004 617-462-6159 Shaun M. Filiault was a member of Boston College’s College of Arts and Sciences Class of 2004 and was the Assistant Copy Editor of The Heights in 2001.