Independence for Taiwan

China’s premier, Wen Jiabao, visited the United States as the first of China’s new leadership to meet with President Bush this past Tuesday, and spoke at Harvard University on Wednesday, Dec. 10. The primary intention of his trip is to persuade the United States to issue a forthright statement opposing Taiwan’s sovereignty and the right of the people of Taiwan to hold referendums and amend their own constitution. The status quo currently upheld is that the United States does not support Taiwanese independence. There are concerns that President Bush may proceed to ‘gift’ this visit with a modification in the wording of its policy to state that the United States does oppose Taiwanese independence. Premier Wen’s visit to the United States heralds a drastically biased policy against Taiwan. Taiwan is a self-governing country of 23 million people. The people of Taiwan directly elect their own president and their own lawmakers and recently passed a landmark referendum that opened the door for citizens to directly decide on many critical issues. However, the Chinese government claims the ‘One China Principle’ that Taiwan is a part of China and that unification should be attained at any costs. The Chinese government has tried every possible way to pressure Taiwan to return to the ‘sacred motherland’ by persistently blocking any Taiwanese move that could lead to further international recognition or independence. Any murmur of independence leads China to respond immediately with threats and intimidation. Rather than defend the right of Taiwan’s democracy, countries around the world have continuously complied with China’s pressures and abandoned support for Taiwan. Whereas Chinese government officials visit the United States as they please, Taiwanese officials are constantly barred from entry into the United States, due to unrelenting pressures from China. On occasion, when a Taiwanese official attempts to visit the United States, China promptly objects and pressures Washington to deny them visas. Taiwanese officials have been treated egregiously, without the dignity or respect that they deserve as representatives of a thriving democratic nation. In particular, Taiwan has continued to be barred from participating in the United Nations and the World Health Organization. In September, Taiwan’s bid for U.N. membership was turned down again for the 11th consecutive year. Several months earlier, Taiwan lost its bid for observer status in the World Health Assembly for the seventh time. The primary reason why Taiwan has continued to be blocked from admission into these international organizations is China. By concealing the truth, China facilitated the spread of SARS around the world. On the other hand, Taiwan responded quickly and effectively to contain the epidemic instead of hiding SARS like China did. But Taiwan still lost its bid to be an observer in the WHA due to strong protests from the Chinese government. The WHO’s slogan, ‘Health for all,’ clearly does not apply to everyone, particularly the Taiwanese people. Beijing has claimed sovereignty over Taiwan, though Taiwan has a different culture and history and an independent, democratic government. China’s tendency to rely on force has justifiably made the Taiwanese people reluctant to render control to China. China’s new generation of leaders has disappointed with its lack of reform and transparency of government. Increased demands for political reform of the constitution have led to bans on discussion. The prevalent corruption and arthritic responses to local and international crisis reveal the inherent liabilities in the communist government. China’s tardy handling of the SARS respiratory infection crisis and their objections to Taiwan receiving aid from WHO do not indicate that Chinese government would be a benevolent, beneficial rule. The ‘One Nation, Two Systems’ rule has proved to be ineffective in the case of Hong Kong. All these factors point to China’s shrouded intentions. It should be no surprise, then, that Taiwan wants to continue to enjoy its autonomy as a democratic and wealthy nation and will do what is necessary to preserve this independence. This week and next, Taiwanese-American students across the nation will write editorials like this one to urge the United States. to help Taiwan defend itself. We, as Taiwanese Americans, hope the United States. can support Taiwan to reject the ‘One Nation, Two Systems Principle’ and to support Taiwan in its efforts to be an independent country. In addition, we ask the United States to respect the rights of the people of Taiwan to decide their own identity and fate. We sincerely hope the United States government and the communities will hear our voices, so that they too, can also understand and denounce the barbaric and unfair treatment of Taiwan by China. We would like everyone to help and join us to fight for Taiwan’s independence. Laura Lin is a senior in the School of Management. Catherine Su is a junior in the School of Hospitality Administration. Eva Tseng is a sophomore in the College of Arts ‘ Sciences.