PERSPECTIVE: 2003 filled with academic, athletic accomplishments at BU

2003 was a good year to be an alumnus of Boston University, especially if you live in Michigan. For me, the fun really began on Dec. 29, 2002 but it was close enough to count as 2003. That night the Boston University hockey team defeated the University of Michigan to win the Great Lakes Invitational hockey tournament, played annually at the Joe Louis Arena, hockey home to the Detroit Red Wings.

As any Michigander knows, the Great Lakes Invitational is our version of the Beanpot. But there are two distinct differences. First, only three of the four teams in the tournament appear every year (University of Michigan, Michigan State and Michigan Tech), with one at-large team invited. The second difference is that the winning school gets to hang their banner from the rafters for the entire year until a new champion is crowned.

I must admit that the colors of Boston University fit in well with the championship banners of the Red Wings, and it did fill me with a sense of pride every time I went to a Red Wings game to see that BU banner hanging up there. 2003 was capped off on a high note a year and a day later on Dec. 30 when the Terrier basketball team invaded Crisler Arena to play the University of Michigan on its home court.

As I am sure you all know, Boston University was also victorious and made us all proud with their major upset victory against a major program. As I exited the arena with my head held high, many fans seeing my BU colors commented on how hard our team worked and how well coached they were. Kudos to the coaches and players on one of the biggest wins in BU basketball history. There were only a handful of BU faithful on hand for both events and I was very proud to be there supporting my alma mater – of course it was nice to see victories and to be able to give some grief to those in my backyard.

Aside from athletics, there have been some other happenings at Boston University that have made me proud to hang my BU diploma on my office wall. Every February when my wife and I return to visit friends and attend the Beanpot we are amazed at the ever-changing face of BU. From the Student Village to a revitalized Kenmore Square, the improvements being undertaken are amazing. I sure wish I had the opportunity to live at the Student Residences at 10 Buick St.

The hiring and appointment of Ken Elmore and Jack Weldon as Dean and Associate Dean of Students was great news to anyone who cares about student life at Boston University. As both a student and employee of Boston University, I had the chance to see first hand the commitment and dedication of these two men in improving the quality of student life at Boston University.

The changes that have been undertaken in the improvement of non-academic student services is astounding. I think that too often overlooked are the accomplishments and steady leadership of Vice President for Enrollment and Student Services Anne Shea. The hiring of Deans Elmore and Weldon and the commitment to improving student services through the combination and streamlining of departments is just the tip of the iceberg.

Every year we read how this year’s incoming class is the strongest ever and how financial aid awards exceeded the previous years, and 2003 was no exception. The increasing quality of the student body is another reason to be proud to be an alumnus of Boston University. I am just glad that Vice President Shea didn’t get her job until after I enrolled, or I might have had to write a letter to the editor of The Heights as another befuddled alumnus of Boston College.

Andy Wincel, a 1997 graduate of the College of Arts and Sciences, served as Student Union President from 1994 to 1995 and was an employee in Office of Housing from 1998 to 2000.