EDIT: Janklow escapes justice

Justice was not served Thursday in South Dakota, as former United States Rep. Bill Janklow (R-S.D.) walked away from a courtroom with a puny 100-day prison sentence for killing a man after a spell of reckless driving.

On Dec. 8, Janklow was found guilty of second-degree manslaughter for killing a motorcyclist in an auto accident on Aug. 16. He ran a stop sign and drove 71 mph along a rural road, killing 55-year-old Randy Scott along the way. The speed limit was 55 mph.

Janklow has a strong record of public service – serving as governor for four terms, a Congressman since 2002 and as a lawyer – his is a household name in South Dakota. But there is no question that because of Janklow’s status as a public official and his popularity in the state, he received special treatment.

Several of his actions on the matter are quite troubling. His resignation from the House came only after he was found guilty. Instead of immediately taking the blame for what was clearly an indiscretion with horrendous consequences, Janklow, a 64-year-old diabetic, denied his guilt and claimed he was suffering from a diabetic attack. Apparently he hadn’t eaten in 18 hours and still thought it was a good idea to drive. And then he tried to duck from punishment when it was clear his own responsibility caused another person’s death.

Diabetes is a life-threatening disease if it is not handled correctly – Janklow should have known that getting behind the wheel under such circumstances would be life-threatening to him and anyone who could have crossed his path during an attack while driving.

But even more troubling is the fact that the diabetes seems like a poor excuse – a sad and manipulative attempt to avoid punishment – when looking at his driving record. According to state court records reported in major news outlets, Janklow had an extremely bad driving record already. He received 12 speeding tickets over four years and was once caught driving 90 mph in a 65 mph zone. If any other citizen were found guilty of second-degree manslaughter after such a poor track record, they would likely be serving a much longer term.

Public officials should be held to the same standards as regular citizens – if not higher standards. One would think those who make the laws would follow them.

South Dakota does not have a minimum sentence requirement, a fact that allowed Janklow’s judge to sentence him to anywhere from 11 years to no time at all. He will still only serve 100 days. Such a ridiculous sentence is a mockery of justice, and while nothing can take back what happened on Aug. 16, a much more suitable punishment could have been found.

Janklow was not charged with involuntary manslaughter. He was charged with second-degree manslaughter. The judge found that he willingly broke the law – in two ways. He chose not to stop at a stop sign and he chose to speed. Both of those elements are part of the fundamentals taught in drivers’ education.

Elected officials are supposed to represent the best in people. And while they may get special recognition in other aspects of life, they should be treated just like everyone else in the courtroom. Had Janklow been treated the same as any other citizen when he committed any of his first 12 offenses, a life could have been spared.