Not everyone dislikes Bush

n As a registered Independent, I am not a “staunch” or “raving” supporter of either dominant political party. I agree with some Republican ideals and on other issues I am more of a Democrat. However, Mark Bridges’ angry accusations on Thursday (“Only unrealistic rich can agree with Bush,” pg. 12, Jan. 22) moved me to write in defense of Republicans and people in general.

Mr. Bridges, you clump all Republicans into a group you refer to as “these people” throughout your column. Republicans are a very diverse group, just like Democrats, and not all Republicans support the party for the same reason. I am sure only a minority of people support the party because of stupidity. The same can be said of any group, including the Democratic Party.

Just as you claim to, Republicans do inform themselves about what is going on in this country, and they make decisions based on the information they receive. Remember, people tend to stick to information sources that reflect their own beliefs, which is why many Republicans prefer FOX News, while you may choose a news source with a liberal viewpoint. That does not mean that your news source is right or better, it just reflects your personal attitudes. Of course, you will perceive news about our president differently than Bush supporters would.

Fifty percent of America disagrees with you, Mr. Bridges, and surely half of this country is not in borderline-psychotic denial. You should be glad that people in this country have diverse opinions and a variety of beliefs, priorities and lifestyles. Instead, you make self-righteous attacks on people you deem to be less intelligent and informed than yourself, and then complain that they call you “ignorant.” That is practically the definition of ignorant.

Sarah Crane

COM ’04