The Thrills fail to thrill at the Paradise

Two months ago, The Thrills embarked on their inaugural U.S. tour, and rumor had it that the Irish band had only sold 12 tickets to the first show.

After an American launch of their debut album, So Much for the City, The Thrills are back for a second round, and this time, ticket sales aren’t a problem. The Irishmen have successfully caught the attention of America – and they know it.

Apparently, popularity permits the band to be late. This stop was the third on their month-long tour that began Jan. 9 in Toronto and ends Jan. 29 in Vancouver.

By the time the five men arrived on stage Monday night at the Paradise, it was 9:30. The several hundred audience members were growing antsy for the show that was supposed to begin around 9.

But the Thrills make up for lost time, and when they begin, it’s obvious they have performed the songs many times.

Frontman Conor Deasy leads the band with his lullaby voice through a quick set including “Your Love is Like Las Vegas,” the notorious single “Big Sur” and “Till the Tide Creeps In.” The songs sound good, but the band feels impersonal.

Deasy was confident and choreographed – a bit too choreographed. As he clutched the microphone stand, stamped his feet and moved with the melodies, his body occasionally moved a beat too soon or too late.

As for the rest of the band, they seemed somewhat lethargic. Drummer Ben Carrigan closed his eyes as he pounded out “Santa Cruz.” Guitarist Daniel Ryan and bassist Padraic MacMahon looked dazed providing backup vocals in “Old Friends, New Lovers” while keyboardist Kevin Horan appeared aloof harmonizing at the back of the stage.

After breezing through the first few songs, The Thrills settled into their music and the audience became more engaged.

Deasy tried to keep the energy flowing by standing up on a monitor and encouraging the audience to clap along with the melody. It seemed a bit forced, but fans went along.

After a 12-song set, The Thrills leave the stage as quickly as they entered. Yet, the audience demands an encore, and the five men (who have been known to deny the pleas) return to finish the night with “Don’t Steal Our Sun.”

The Thrills’ jangly, melodic pop songs are undoubtedly catchy, and the band produces a solid live listening experience.

But the real question is, are The Thrills still thrilled to be playing? With 11 more shows to go, hopefully the band can make it.