Dems choose delegates

Area delegates who will represent Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry (Mass.) at this July’s Democratic National Convention in Boston were officially chosen this Saturday at Faneuil Hall.

A winning slate of five delegates and one alternate was chosen before the official election at Faneuil Hall, with no one running in opposition. The “Victory Slate” was chosen to represent a cross-section of Boston’s population and to look out for both minority and labor interests. Delegates chosen included Boston City Council President Michael Flaherty, state Rep. Lida Harkins (D-Needham) and Henry Green of the Boston Hotel Employees and Restaurant Employees Union.

U.S. Rep. Stephen Lynch (D-Mass.), who presided over the delegate election, highlighted the chance to make a change in national policy.

“Today we have the opportunity, I think, to say no to [Attorney General] John Ashcroft and yes to civil rights,” he said.

A spokesman for Lynch estimated that 20 to 25 people had applied to the Massachusetts Democratic Party to run for delegate positions for the ninth district, which includes Boston. But to run for a position, someone at the event must nominate each person. Only the winning slate was nominated, leaving the remaining applicants out of the election. Three of the delegates must be female, two male and one alternate must be elected.

The number of delegates a district receives is determined by its population. The ninth district will be represented by six delegates, five of which are assigned to Kerry. One delegate will represent North Carolina Sen. John Edwards and was chosen at a separate location. Candidates are assigned delegates based on their showings in the primaries.

Patricia Armstrong, a member of the Boston Teachers’ Union, and Dorchester resident Mernaysa Rivera, a former legislative intern for Kerry, were also chosen as delegates.

Although the official list of delegate responsibilities was misplaced, Lynch said that delegates have the duty to show the world that the United States can elect and transition a government peacefully.

“All kidding aside, the eyes of the free world will be on Boston and our convention,” he said.

Flaherty said he ran because the convention is an important part of the democratic process and because he is concerned about job creation, health care and education. He also said he is excited to serve as a first-time delegate in his hometown and hopes to encourage participation among younger citizens.

“I hope that as a young Democrat in Boston, I can inspire other young Democrats to register to vote,” he said.

Alternate Kathy Manson, a postal union member from Walpole, said she ran because of she is worried that too many American jobs are moving offshore or being privatized.

Needham resident Tracy Zendzian said she came to the event because she has been getting active in town politics and wanted to see how the process worked, but it was her distaste for President George W. Bush that led her to support Kerry.

“I would vote for anybody that was running against Bush,” she said.

Carol Grosso, a volunteer at the event who works for Lynch, said she was pleased.

“I thought for the weather and temperature it was a good crowd,” she said.

Grosso also said she is excited for the upcoming election.

“I think we have a really strong candidate,” she said. “I think a lot of people are ready for change, and I think we’ll see some.”