EDIT: Prevent future blackouts

According to the final report from the U.S.-Canada Power System Outage Task Force and top energy officials from both countries, the tremendous blackout that switched off eight states and parts of Canada for more than 24 hours last summer could have been prevented had a number of power companies followed their own regulations.

The blackout caused an enormous number of problems in one of the most heavily populated areas of both countries. A number of businesses lost a large amount of money and almost every aspect of life for people living in that area was affected. But despite the mass confusion that sprung from the blackout, people handled it in a surprisingly composed fashion. Officials restored power and politicians called for an investigation. Now that the final results of the investigation have been announced, they must be taken seriously and changes must be made. The 2003 blackout was not the first of its kind, and according to the report, it may not be the last if power companies do not make changes and follow regulations.

But because the problem involves a large number of companies, it will make it more difficult for system-wide problems to be addressed. And the blackout affected both the United States and Canada, making it even more difficult for one government to step in. Still, the governments of both countries must work together, as they did to commission the investigation in the first place, and find a way to enforce regulations so another blackout does not take place. An increase in federal regulation and a more cooperative attitude from the power companies should keep mistakes from happening. Both governments should also provide the finds experts say are much-needed to update the power grid and give it the capacity it needs for the energy people in both countries need.

The power industry must learn from the blackout and address the recommended changes quickly. While they could have addressed the problems that caused the blackouts before they happened, and should have after a number of other blackouts in other parts of the country during the decades before, now is the time to take action. The entire world is becoming increasingly more dependent on electricity, and when a significantly sized blackout occurs, many aspects of people’s daily lives are drastically changed to adhere to life without electricity. Something must be done to prevent another blackout from affecting an even larger number of people.

It is both governments’ responsibility to protect their people and the companies’ to protect their customers. Both sides need to work together to find a way to make energy use more efficient and find a solution that will prevent another disastrous blackout.