Search for Catholic truth

n As the Catholic priest at Boston University, I am always encouraged when I encounter a student who is serious about his or her faith life. Nicholas Nikaj’s letter entitled “Church promotes sexual ethics” (March 30, pg. 9) makes me think that he is engaged in a pursuit of the truth about the Catholic faith. I applaud him for his efforts. I also want to assist in that search for truth, however, by pointing out errors contained in his letter.

Mistakes occasioned by The Daily Free Press’ March 24 article (“Gays, Church focus of talk,” pg. 1) reporting on the Catholic Center’s presentation entitled “Homosexuality and the Catholic Church” were addressed in two prior letters. The contributions of Christine Tolfree (“Catholic article sloppy,” March 25, pg. 14) and Denise Regan (“Catholic teachings apply to all sexualities,” March 26, pg. 6) clarified both grammatical and factual errors contained in that article. Rather than repeating what those students set forth so clearly, I refer Mr. Nikaj to their letters. I address myself to his misapplication of the moral system of probabilism.

It is true that probabilism, which developed in the 17th century, provided guidance to Catholics in making difficult moral decisions. It was used, however, only when there was an absence of clear Church teaching in a given moral area. Without the guidance of the Church in a particular aspect of the moral life, a Catholic made decisions by seeking the best guidance available. However, in light of the repeated and well-articulated teaching of the Catholic Church in the area of human sexuality in general and homosexuality in particular (some of which is referred to by Mr. Nikaj), the application of probabilism to this issue is misplaced. There is insufficient space, given the constraints of this letter, to adequately present the principles of Catholic moral decision-making. For those who are serious about investigating these principles, I recommend the study of the papal document Veritatis Splendor (The Splendor of Truth). It presents a current, comprehensive and compelling treatment of this crucial area of Catholic moral life.

Mr. Nikaj asserts that “now is the time for the Catholic youth to become involved with the Church…” I wholeheartedly agree with him. The Church needs young men and women who are willing to engage in a serious exploration of their faith. The Church of today requires young people who are not willing to settle for television sound bites and surface (if not at times inaccurate) news reports to form the basis of their understanding of what the Catholic Church teaches. She requires people who are earnest enough in their search for truth that they will subject their personal opinions to the challenge of an institution whose teachings are not drawn merely from the perspective of one age or culture but from the depth of 2,000 years of history and the breadth of a world-wide experience. In my four years at Boston University, I have come to know many such young men and women. I encourage Mr. Nikaj, all young Catholics, indeed all men and women who seek the truth, to join their ranks by exploring, honestly, the life and teachings of the Catholic Church. To do so is to engage in an authentic search for truth.

Rev. Paul D. Helfrich

University Chaplain

Catholic Center at Boston University