Homosexuality is natural

Moral and ethical views on homosexuality will forever be a matter of an individual’s opinion, but one aspect of the debate needs to stop: the belief that homosexuality is not natural. It is simply not true. Believe it or not, homosexuality and bisexuality are not the creation of humans looking for alternative lifestyles.

Many species in nature have been observed as exhibiting homosexual behavior. In some primate species, males who are denied mating opportunities by stronger, more dominant males or males who are sexually immature will often be seen performing sexual acts to each other. Some may even continue this behavior long into adulthood.

Homosexual behavior by both sexes has also been observed in wild and domestic dogs when females are in heat. Homosexual acts occur in countless animal societies, but more interesting is that long-term homosexual bonds exist beyond humanity as well. Male and female homosexual pairs form in numerous primates, mainly chimpanzees and orangutans and these pairs will “remain faithful” to each other for many years. Male dolphins will also form long lasting unions in which the couple, even though they are part of a larger group, will only perform mating-like, or stimulatory behavior on each other.

If you do not believe me, you should purchase “Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity,” by Bruce Bagemihl, which details the scientific observations of homosexuality in nature.

In my opinion, homosexual marriage is the least of our problems at this point. The human population is exploding exponentially destroying everything its path. Maybe homosexuality is nature’s method of population control.

Face it, homosexuality is a natural behavior. Being gay is not exclusive to the “homo sapiens” primate. What has never been observed is a group of dolphins beating another dolphin senseless because he was gay. No biologist has documented anti-homosexual behavior in nature. So is it possible that the unnatural behavior is the hatred and oppression of gays?

Bart Critser

CAS ’05