Sex of parents is not the issue

n In a letter published on April 7 (“Children, Need Mother and Father,” pg. 6), Sarah Valerio stated that the concern being overlooked in the gay adoption issue is the welfare of the child. What Ms. Valerio failed to see, beyond her small-minded view of what children need to grow up (a male and a female parental influence), is that gay couples who adopt work hard to provide a stable and comfortable home environment, as well as to help their children grow up to be well-adjusted, intelligent, accepting adults of either gender and any sexual orientation.

“Broken homes,” as Ms. Valerio called any home without a mother or a father, are not the highest cause of crime. Most often, the homes from which crime comes have domestic violence, poverty, substance abuse and neglect issues primarily. These should be addressed before deciding that the gender combination of guardians in the house is to blame.

As we all know, it is perfectly legal, and seemingly acceptable, for a single person of either sex to adopt a child or to raise their own child without the other parent. We should stop nit picking through these “studies” that show a child needs a mother and a father for successful development. I think it is obvious that a child needs much more than a mother and a father. Love, support, acceptance and encouragement are also important; these are things that I know many who have grown up in “unbroken” homes have not received.

Millions of children in the world would be overjoyed to live in a good home, free of violence and poverty. Instead of worrying about which upper-middle class couples will have the opportunity to be considered “child worthy,” let’s do what Ms. Valerio suggests and consider the welfare of every child and the opportunities being denied those who could live happy lives with two extraordinary parents.

Amanda Clark

COM ’06