Endorsement unnecessary

The Student Union elections were not merely “a sham,” as Jonah Goldberg pointed out on April 26 (“Student Union elections a sham,” pg. 6); they were in fact a gift. The main problem with this year’s election is The Daily Free Press’s endorsement of a candidate (“Provost best man for Union pres.,” April 20, pg. 10).

While it is common for newspapers to endorse candidates during election times, these endorsements typically go to candidates for public offices. The Union elections are not such. In the world outside of Boston University, when a newspaper endorses a candidate, there is another newspaper that can counter-endorse (or agree – but at least there is the possibility of competition).

The Daily Free Press is the most widely read student-run newspaper that addresses the BU community. As the only paper that covers these particular elections, The Daily Free Press has a duty to its readers to remain relatively neutral. Of course biases are apparent through coverage of other issues, but endorsement goes beyond relative neutrality. The Free Press endorsement of a candidate virtually guarantees that candidate’s election. After all of the Free Press’s criticism of past Union officials and activities, I suppose they felt it their duty to select the next Executive Board. If the Union bombs next year, at least we know where to place the blame.

Rebecca Pitman CAS ’05

Vice President

10 Buick St. Residence Hall Association