Marker: Change is inevitable

Welcome back to campus! I hope that each of you had a great summer and is excited for a new chapter in Boston University’s history. As this is a critical point in our nation’s history, it is also proving to be a turning point at BU. There have been many changes throughout the summer, and it is now up to us to make the most of them. We, the Student Union Executive Board, have spent the summer at BU working with the administration and advocating for you. These issues have all been brought to us throughout the past year, and we thank you for bringing them to our attention so we can work together to bring about change. I would like to take this time to highlight a few of the many changes you will notice around campus now that you have returned.

First and foremost, we hope you all remember to get out the vote on Nov. 2. Sixty percent of college students are registered to vote, but roughly only 13 percent take advantage of this right. If you need a voter registration card or information on absentee voting, please contact the Dean of Students office at 617-353-4126.

In residence halls you will notice that soap dispensers have been installed in all communal bathrooms. Paper towels and hand dryers are being tested throughout campus to determine which is most effective. We have been able to place email kiosks on the fountain level of the George Sherman Union; more will be showing up around campus throughout the semester, including in some residence halls. The university will be switching to a two-bin recycling system in hopes of making recycling more convenient and encouraging more students to recycle. Bins are located in your own residence hall, with the exception of South Campus and Bay State Road where they can be found in central locations. Expect to see some dining changes, such as later operating hours for dinner and a fourth mealtime. The fourth mealtime is meant to accommodate people eating late breakfasts so that they will also be able to eat regular meals during the remainder of the day. Also, cable will be installed on campus. While the exact installation schedule and price of cable is not definite, we can assure you that the administration and students on the cable committee have been aggressively pursuing installing cable television on campus.

Student groups will find new spaces in which to program events including BU Central (the former games room) and the brand new Howard Thurman Center, both on the fountain level of the GSU. Student organizations will also be able to sell tickets to their events from the Student Activities Business Office, located on the 4th floor of the GSU, allowing students to buy tickets using convenience points. Starting this year, organizations holding events in certain areas on campus will no longer be required to utilize Catering on the Charles, lowering the cost of many events.

These are just a few of many changes that will be happening across campus, and the beginning of new opportunities for BU students. We could not have made these changes without your input and help, and we encourage everyone to get involved this upcoming year. Come have a Coffee and Conversation with Dean Elmore and the Student Union to discuss contemporary issues and voice your concerns. Come to Union meetings and tell us what we can do to help you. We are only effective with your input.

Also, in an effort to clarify the changes to the Student Union, we will be hosting a few forums to discuss how the Student Union will be organized and we invite you all to attend. The Union is looking forward to a great year. When you see me on campus please stop and introduce yourself. I look forward to meeting all of you and working together this year!

Jon Marker is the acting president of the Student Union.