Staff Edit: Unintelligent Design

Scientific evidence has almost conclusively proven that the theory of evolution is more than a popular myth, yet school officials in Dover, Pa. are forcing educators to teach evolution alongside the theory of creationism, or what has also been dubbed “Intelligent Design.”

But not only will teaching two opposing theories alongside one another confuse young high-school students, it would subject them to a religious teaching that goes against the establishment of keeping religion out of publicly funded schools.

The United States has no national religion and should not subject students to mandatory religious teachings, even the euphemistic theory of Intelligent Design. Though the terminology of the theory may sound scientific, its only basis lies in the Book of Genesis of the Judeo-Christian Old Testament.

Students whose parents want them to study Intelligent Design theory have the option of sending their children to religious schools, where they can be exposed to alternatives to Darwinian Theory.

But some parents and teachers are so opposed to Intelligent Design they have taken the matter to federal court.

Witnesses testifying in a Harrisburg, Pa. court investigating the matter said the school board of Dover invoked Jesus’ crucifixion as a reason to change the curriculum, which should further prompt the court to denying public schools the right to force religious teaching upon students.

If the court decided to allow public schools to teach Intelligent Design, it could easily serve as a Trojan horse to introducing religion into public schools.

Intelligent Design is not an appropriate topic in science classes, especially alongside the more fully supported Darwinian Theory, and should not be introduced into public schools.