Staff Edit: End of the Red Sox’ season

The cold weather Bostonians hoped would never come has finally approached the city, marking an end to Boston’s baseball season, and an end to the city’s undisturbed restlessness. Residents can once again return to the calm, business-as-usual tone that has been lacking in this city since the start of the semester.

Mid-terms are fast approaching, papers are piling up and the workload already seems impenetrable, but now students have the chance to catch up, and the city a chance to relax and wait another year for their team to regain the energy that just a year ago sparked them to baseball’s World Series title.

There’s obviously something extremely special about Pennant Fever – when an entire city unites behind a common cause and an indescribable buzz grips the street. But when it happens every few months, it doesn’t exactly get old, but loses its uniqueness.

It has been quite some time since Boston experienced quieter times, especially since last year’s victory and more recently the New England Patriots’ third Super Bowl win in the last four years. The energy built up over the past year should now be directed toward reverently engaging ourselves in our eternal pursuit of knowledge, and in enjoying the plentitude this city has to offer.

The Citgo sign will remain lit, and Fenway continues to be a center for nightclubs, restaurants, movies and shopping. It will remain home to the World Champion Boston Red Sox, who now have a time to rest and prepare themselves for next year’s excitement, and give their fans time to wind down and finally get some rest.

Some fans that needed medical attention while watching a game refused to be escorted to an emergency room until the game’s end, causing long lines and disorder at hospitals citywide, according to a study by Children’s Hospital.

The city’s businesses have also suffered from the decreased efficiency and slower pace caused by worn-out employees, and now’s their chance to make up the work that their overtired minds weren’t capable of doing.

And it’s time that the city’s resources are directed toward other improvements, rather than paying overtime salaries to the hundreds of police officers patrolling around Fenway Park during the games.

Now that the season’s over, patients will get the care they need, workers a better night’s rest and students a chance to improve their grades. In Boston, of course it’s never good for the Red Sox to lose, but this time, it might just have been a blessing in disguise.