Voletta Wallace wants the truth

In the nine years since The Notorious B.I.G. was fatally targeted in the much-hyped East vs. West rap feud, his memory has lived on. Posthumous hip-hop releases approved by Sean “Diddy” Combs. T-shirts emblazoned with his iconic face. Shout-outs appearing on numerous rap songs, on underground mixtapes, the radio and MTV.

The mother that Biggie talked about in his rhymes, the one who “pimps an Ac’ with mink on her back,” seemed surprisingly down to earth in her interview with The Muse. This could be attributed to her career as a teacher in Brooklyn, or even her battle with breast cancer. Maybe it’s due to her losing her son prematurely, shot dead at the tender age of 25.

Regardless, Voletta Wallace has emerged as a strong woman with strong words for those who did her wrong.

In her new book, Biggie: Voletta Wallace Remembers Her Son, she comes out swinging against those supposedly closest to her son.

In one memorable chapter, Lil’ Kim is graphically described as an exhibitionist, a thief, a liar and not much else. Kim, the protégé of The Notorious B.I.G., receives the majority of Wallace’s wrath.

Wallace carefully chose how to answer the question on everyone’s mind: “Has Lil’ Kim reached out to you since reports came out about the publicizing of your distaste for her in this book?”

Acknowledging that the Queen Bee has not apologized for her actions, including Kim’s theft of a mink coat from Wallace’s home, she casually said, “I have not spoken to Kim in years. The abuse that Lil’ Kim did, I’m sure that [she will] move on. I hope she moves on.” With Kim behind bars in Philadelphia for lying to a grand jury, the next move is hers.

Still, Wallace saved some of her energy for the Bad Boy himself, Sean “Diddy” Combs. She argued that the rap mogul only started loving her son once he died.

Diddy took pop radio by storm shortly after Biggie’s death with “I’ll Be Missing You.” He managed the Big Poppa’s career, breaking him into the industry. He’s always letting everyone know that he misses his best friend, Biggie. And he has been the most adamant about preserving The Notorious B.I.G.’s image … so he’s the one being called out?

“I’ve spoken to Puffy on occasion, very, very regularly. He understood why I wrote the book,” she said solemnly, though still unapologetic. “I don’t know if he read it, but for what it’s worth, I spoke the truth and I think he’s honest enough to know that I speak my mind, and I spoke from my heart.”

Diddy’s publicist did not return repeated calls for comment.

Wallace certainly feels no guilt for writing a book about her son’s life as seen through her eyes. To her, she and her grandchildren are the only ones who have done him right. But don’t get her wrong. She is not one to greedily grab money or fame as a result of her son’s accomplishments, and that’s the difference.

“I do not celebrate his life. I think of my son on happier times, and when I thought of my son on happier times, it makes me smile.”

She continued, “For me, I celebrate my life, and every day that I live is a celebration, because I’m fortunate to be breathing. It’s unfortunate that my son’s not here. My son died. I’m not going to celebrate his life. I’ll celebrate his legacy; I’ll celebrate his music, and by celebrating his music is giving people the opportunity to hear. I celebrate my life.”

Wallace’s life is a product of hard work and hard times. Her tireless struggles can be seen, even now, as she fights legal battles to expose her son’s killer. “When the truth comes and the murderer is brought to justice, I will be happy. I will smile, I will move on,” she said. After briefly laughing to herself, she proclaimed, “Maybe I will write another book!”

The Notorious B.I.G.’s killer remains out on the streets, surprisingly unpunished for such a high-profile crime. Bureaucratic red tape and misleading leads have slowed the process.

When questioned on the possibility of Death Row Records CEO Suge Knight’s involvement in her son’s untimely death, Wallace coldly responded, “I did not mention Suge Knight in my book. I tried to stay away from Suge Knight. Whether Suge Knight had a part, if he had a part in my son’s murder, it will come out in the trial.”

Christopher Wallace’s rhymes, when assuming the identity of The Notorious B.I.G., were filled with Mafioso fantasies, with filled body bags and emptied guns. He, along with other gangsta rappers of the time, perpetuated this false reality, their words finally catching up to them with fatal consequences.

Wallace believes that Biggie was neither killed, nor made a legend by, the rap industry. She contends,”My son made himself a legend, my son worked hard and made himself what he was and the legacy that he left behind, which was his music, he made that.”

Wallace continued, “As far as murder, and murdering him, someone murdered my son; I don’t think it has anything to do with the rap industry. That did not murder my son. It is, I can safely say, that if my son did not have the position, the job that he sought out, maybe he would be alive today. But I would not say that the rap industry murdered him.”

Wallace removed Christopher and other gangsta rappers from blame usually tossed upon them for supposedly encouraging violence. On the contrary, she noted that these are their realities. Wallace put emphasis on the need for education and dutiful parenting.

“If our kids, our youth, is not educated, they are not fed love, they are not fed responsibility – it will never end.”

She continued, “These youths out there need to be taught what love is, because if you love your brother and you love your neighbor, you won’t have time to move around and filter hate, and that’s what we need to do. We need to educate our sisters and brothers, our kids, and educate the youth that’s coming up.”

Maybe that would have even prevented Biggie’s death.

The Notorious B.I.G., Frank White, Biggie – Christopher Wallace. He quickly rose from poverty to a life of celebrity, cut short by a well-aimed bullet. With stories relatable to the masses, one of hip hop’s greatest lyricists lives on, his legacy continuing to affect audiences everywhere. Wallace agreed.

“My son’s legacy, as I’ve said before and I’ll say again, is his music. He will be remembered for his music, the images that he portrayed in his music, the fact that when he speaks, he speaks on everything: the good, the bad and the dirty.”

Wallace said, “That’s why my son is remembered, not because of that baritone voice of his, but because whenever he speaks, everyone listens.” m