The myth and reality of the Freshman 15

As Boston University freshmen walk into their dormitories for the first time, many say they fear homesickness or hard classes, but in the back of most students’ minds is also the dreaded Freshman 15 – a trend students say is both visible and combatable on BU’s campus.

During their first year away from home, students experience many changes in lifestyle and some are more successful than others in dealing with those changes – specifically managing time, exercise and eating habits.

Assistant nutrition professor Paula Quatromoni said there are many factors, some of which include the “all you can eat” perspective in the dining hall, quality of dining hall food, limited finances and convenience and changes in exercise patterns.

“Many kids tell me they stop eating meat and chicken and hardly ever eat fish when they come to college because of how it looks in the dining halls,” Quatromoni said. “Some eat very few fruits and vegetables when they go out on their own.”

When students are studying and need a midnight snack, many say they turn to Late Nite Dining. The typical fare offered by Late Nite include foods that are high in fats and refined carbohydrates.

The reasons for gaining weight are not a mystery for students.

“Although I haven’t gained any weight,” College of Arts and Sciences freshman Karen Godfrey said, “I think some people probably do because college courses require a lot more time on homework and labs and there isn’t always time to find something healthy, so vending machines that sell candy or ice cream are fast and convenient.”

CAS freshman Kaitlyn Lichwell said she has gained about three or four pounds during the first semester away from home. She attributes her weight gain to her busy class schedule, studying and not being involved in organized sports, as she was in high school.

“In today’s society, everyone cares about weight, especially girls,” she said. “In college, it’s all about image – being super-skinny, having Coach purses and Armani clothes. I am definitely concerned about weight gain, not only from society’s point of view, but it also makes me feel very unhealthy and lazy.”

On the other hand, School of Management freshman Nikos Poulikidis said he has lost a few pounds since the beginning of the semester. He said he is aware of the Freshman 15 and has heard that it is caused by drinking too much beer and just being lazy.

“I’m eating bananas from the Warren Towers dining hall and playing basketball two times a week to burn the calories from the cookies,” he said.

There are ways to prevent the Freshman 15 and some students choose to do more about it than others. CAS freshman Yesmin Cure said she has gained a couple pounds this semester, but said it is not enough weight to really concern her. However, she said the gain makes her more motivated to work out.

Some students, including CAS freshman Allegra Farina, are determined to escape the Freshman 15.

“My friends and I are actually on a get-back-in-shape kick so we look good when we go home for break,” she said.

According to Quatromoni, Dining Services recognizes and knows about the Freshman 15 – which she said is one reason the student- and university-run program Sargent Choice is gaining more use on campus.

“They are working to improve options,” she said. “The Sargent Choice program is a major step in the right direction. They now have recipes and nutritional information online for education and awareness.”

She said the dining halls offer a variety of options for students to choose.

“Many choices are a good thing and necessary with such a diverse student population with many needs and preferences,” Quatromoni said.

She added that it is a priority to have more healthy options that include a better variety of fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy, whole grains and soups. She said attention should also be paid to serving sizes.

Students say there are ways to avoid the weight gain if individuals are willing to make the effort.

“It just takes willpower to eat the right food and go to the gym,” Lichwell said.