Greek chapters reflect on Elmore’s initiative

More than two months after Boston University Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore made the decision to discontinue chartering new fraternity and sorority chapters, the question remains what the course of action will mean for the future of BU’s Greek life.

Elmore said the presence of Greek life on campus is neither too weak nor too strong.

“We have a lot of students and a lot of student organizations,” he said. “I think Greek life here is appropriate for those who want to be a part of it. We don’t have a[n inappropriate] number of students involved in fraternities or sororities. We don’t have a number that is too small. I think it is just right.”

Panhellenic Council President Blair Carothers, who is in Gamma Phi Beta, said Elmore’s decision earlier in the semester was a way for current sororities under the Panhellenic organization to look toward internal improvement.

“It allows current sororities on campus to take some time to regroup and ultimately expand their organization as a strong thriving base,” the College of Arts and Sciences senior said.

Carothers said she also feels that Greek life works for those who want it be a part of it.

“It can be a strong community for those students who take advantage of it,” she said. “I personally know of students who would not be at BU if it were not for participation in a sorority. Those who become involved get a real community feel and form friendships not only in their sorority, but within the Greek system in general.”

Carothers said students interested in joining the Greek system should not be discouraged because of Elmore’s decision.

“No matter how many girls show up for recruitment, we will accept them,” she said. “We are always looking to expand how many girls are associated within the eight sororities, and we are not prohibitive in terms of numbers.”

Carothers ultimately said she feels that students should see Elmore’s decision as something that could lead to a strong Greek presence on campus and that adding more organizations at this point may not be the best option.

“This is completely an effort to evaluate what we have and to strengthen it,” she said. “In this case, more isn’t necessarily better.”

Inter-Fraternity Council President Steven Stutsman, who is in Lambda Chi Alpha, said he feels fraternity life on campus could be better. With an estimated 200 members in the Council’s seven university-recognized fraternities, low membership is the biggest concern.

“It’s been a problem we’ve dealt with for the past couple of years,” the CAS senior said.

Stutsman said Greek life in general on campus is somewhat present and definitely has room for improvement.

“I don’t feel it’s necessarily weak,” he said, “but it’s not as strong at it could be. I feel some use it for the social aspect more than the other aspects it’s there for, like developing leadership skills, community service and taking advantage of a networking system after graduation.”

Stutsman said he feels Elmore’s decision is beneficial in particular to the smaller fraternities on campus.

“Although there really hasn’t been a vocal response, larger chapters seem to be indifferent towards it and the smaller ones appear to be more supportive,” he said, adding that most of the changes are geared towards strengthening smaller chapters.

Some students said they feel Elmore’s decision was not the best one for fraternity life and is actually a step in the wrong direction.

“It wasn’t the best logic,” said a fraternity member who requested anonymity to avoid Greek chapter retribution. “If the administration grants exclusive privileges to certain fraternities, they will have no incentive to improve community service, no incentive for more member involvement and no incentive to improve the BU Greek community as a whole.

“If there are organizations that have to start from the ground up and work hard for their organization to be recognized, then that will only strengthen the BU community,” he continued.

Other students said they disagree, and feel Elmore is doing a good job of strengthening the current chapters.

“We have so much more administrative support than we had a couple of years ago and I feel it’s because of Elmore,” Tri Delta Public Relations Vice President Janine Gascoigne said. “He’s really getting a look at what’s going on with the Greek life on campus and it’s refreshing.”

The College of Communication senior said she also feels that focusing on the fraternities and sororities currently recognized by BU is the best course of action.

“Before we start diverting our energies, it’s best to strengthen what we have now,” Gascoigne said. “It’s not that we’re not looking to grow, we’re just looking to grow in a new way.”

Stutsman said the IFSC’s main focus for the future will be on membership recruitment and overcoming the negative perception students have of fraternity life at BU.

“We’re trying to encourage more community service – more events through the university – and trying to showcase the academic and leadership options available to our members,” he said. “We want to illustrate that joining a fraternity is more than a party life with social benefits.

“Our goal is to strengthen our current community instead of focusing on expanding,” he continued. “I want there to be more unity between the fraternities and to showcase the positive aspects associated with being in a fraternity, because there are a lot.”

Stutsman and Carothers would not comment on recent problems within the Greek community, including the Nov. 20 arrest of two men at a Phi Delta Theta chapter. Phi Delta Theta is an off-campus fraternity.