Re: Students share their off-campus experiences

As both a bu undergrad and a real estate agent, I was offended that the front-page article regarding off-campus housing portrayed real estate agents in such a negative light. To begin with, I must say that finding affordable off-campus housing is not so difficult when you consider the outrageous cost of living on-campus. The cheapest dormitory costs $6,450 in residence fees per year, according to BU’s website. (And you’re living in the crappiest housing in Boston.) This is how much you pay for September until halfway through May, minus a month of winter break (also two weeks during spring break when you’re kicked out of the housing you’re paying for). Even if you count that as 9 full months (which its not, its not really even 8), then that means you pay roughly $717 per month, for half of a tiny crappy room. I won’t even discuss what a rip-off the dining plan is. If you want to live in crappy housing and way overpay, you might as well sleep 2 or 3 to a slummy studio in Allston. But then you’d probably pay under $400 per month per person, for conditions equal to living in student housing. Of course, bu’s nice residences are a different story, but the truth is that most on-campus assignments are a rip off. (I can’t understand why bu runs out of housing and students continue to complain about the guest policy- quit whining and get an apartment!) Anyway, the point was not to persuade everyone and their neighbor to move off-campus, I have enough work as it is. (But if you are looking for something feel free to give me a ring- 617 784 6280). [if you can’t publish that its cool] But I was very disappointed in the way the article portrayed real estate agents, most of whom genuinely try to find their clients housing that they will be happy with, rather than just “tell[ing] you whatever they think will make you want [their housing] true or not.” That is a rediculous comment backed up by NO factual evidence. Another derogatory statement backed by NO evidence: “untrustworthy realtors and landlords occasionally take advantage of naive students who are unaware of their rights.” When such statements are to be made, some sort of evidence or even a single example should accompany these claims. In addition, when the freep plans to slander this certain group of professionals, I think it would be appropriate to interview at least one agent with some actual experience in real estate, not just students making rediculous comments based on hearsay. Thank you.

Vanessa Euell veezee8@bu.edu (617) 784 6280 CAS 2008