Kenneth Lutchen named dean of ENG

After a six-month search for a permanent leader, Boston University’s College of Engineering will enter the fall semester complete with a new freshman class, a new vision from President Robert Brown and a new dean. Biomedical engineering chairman Kenneth Lutchen was announced as the permanent replacement for former ENG dean David Campbell, who left the college to assume responsibilities as university provost in July 2004.

Lutchen, who joined the faculty in 1984 and become department chair in 1998, was nominated by a faculty member for the deanship and recommended to the president and provost by search committee chairman Thomas Bifanofrom.

“I expect that they chose Professor Lutchen because of his extraordinary record as chair, and because he will bring to the job unmatched enthusiasm, energy, vision and commitment,” the manufacturing engineering chair said in an email.

In a university press release announcing the appointment, Lutchen said he admired the quality of faculty at the college and looked forward to bolstering the biomedical engineering department’s presence within the university.

“What excites me most is the opportunity to develop this culture, and our faculty, so that Boston University can have an important global impact in engineering education and new research,” he said in the press release.

Brown also expressed his confidence in the pulmonary physiology expert and Case Western Reserve University grad.

“As chair of the Department of Biomedical Engineering, he has demonstrated the vision, creativity and drive needed to lead in a world-class academic research environment,” Brown said in the press release. “With Ken’s leadership, engineering at Boston University is well positioned to increase in quality and visibility in the years ahead.”

Dean ad interim Solomon Eisenberg, also a biomedical engineering professor, has led ENG since fall 2005 and will return to his position as associate dean for undergraduate programs, hoping to serve as a resource to his colleagues while drawing on his experience.

“I think I have learned a fair amount about [the college’s] operations and capabilities,” he said in an email.

Eisenberg said he was aware of Lutchen’s candidacy “early in the process,” when promising candidates were given an opportunity to meet with leadership and ask questions.

Eisenberg expressed confidence in Lutchen’s leadership based on his performance as the biomedical engineering department chair, his research and his teaching.

“He is a superb teacher and routinely is voted one of the best teachers in his department,” he said.

As for the future, Eisenberg said much of the past year has been devoted to “setting the stage for a new dean.”

“While we worked to continue the college’s forward progress throughout the year, we deliberately avoided creating a lot of new programs that could inhibit a dean,” he said.

Despite the work and responsibility, Eisenberg said Lutchen should “stop every once and awhile and enjoy the wonderful array of faculty, staff and students that surround him.

“It is truly an exceptional experience,” he continued.