CowParade Auction raises about $353,000

After living on the streets of Boston for nearly four months, they came dressed in flowers, chili peppers, duct tape and dollar bills. One wore stripes, one impersonated Wally the Green Monster and one even sported a hockey helmet. Some were patriotic, yet all were dressed to impress — or at least to raise money at the Copley Place Marriott Hotel last night.

The CowParade Auction to Benefit the Jimmy Fund – a division of the Dana-Farber Institute – gave the public a chance to bid on 54 of the life-size porcelain cows on display in Boston throughout the summer and raised about $353,000 for cancer research.

Most cows yielded $3,000 to $6,000 apiece, but a few were true “cash cows.”

“Make Way for Calflings,” a bronzed cow accompanied by ten tiny cows, designed by artist Gwendolyn Holbrow, sold for $50,000.

The second highest bid of the night, $25,000, paid for “COW!,” a pop art Lichtenstein-inspired design by Joanne Kaliontzis, while two other popular cows raked in more $10,000 each. “Cowtucket” by Rob Moore portrayed a cow in a boat, and “Bonnie Cow” by Rebecca P. Manos was covered in seashells and colorful sea glass.

CowParade, the world’s largest public art event, toured cities throughout the United States and Europe. It is a chance for local artists to celebrate their cities and express their creativity. The cows are constructed in Poland and Mexico, and artists send their cow designs to a panel of judges. If picked, the artists use paint and other materials to create valuable works of art.

Boston hosted about 118 cows this summer, according to Michael Andrews, chairman of the Jimmy Fund.

Cow-shaped candy and books about CowParade adorned tablecloths with cow spots at the reception preceding the auction. Guests helped themselves to hors d’ouvres that included butternut squash ravioli, bite-sized crab and shrimp and — of course – beef tenderloin. And an open bar serving specialty drinks including “Mooo-tinis” and “Cows-mopolitans” served the crowd and jumpstarted the bidding.

A cowbell signaled the beginning of the auction, and fast-talking auctioneer William Firestone called out the audience’s bids. The cows were placed on the center of the stage on a rotating platform under the spotlight.

During the auction, “spotters” walked around egging people to bid higher on the items. The crowd of about 600 cheered loudly as bidders raised their cow-shaped paddles, and some bidders even received standing ovations for their large donations to the Jimmy Fund.

Janet Ross, a bidder from Lexington, said she pondered on the car ride to Boston about how much she would allow herself to spend at the event.

“$5,000 is my limit tonight,” she said. “I think the kids in the neighborhood would really like it. [A cow] would look nice in my garden.”

Many of the artists, including Veronika Loginova, high-fived and applauded the generous bidders during the night.

“My fiancé told me about CowParade, and I don’t know anything about sports, so he inspired me [to make the cows],” Loginova said.

The artist, who had four Boston sports-inspired cows up for bidding tonight, said it took about 50 hours to paint and design each cow.

“It really was worth it,” she added.

Marsha Lewis, artist of “Moo-lite Sonata,” was nervous to see how much money her cow would raise.

“My first cow in the West Hartford Cow Parade went for $9,300,” she said. “It’s a hoot to see the paddles go up for your cow.”

Five cows in the center of the room were up for silent auction on CowParadeAuction.com.

Guests, who each paid $100 for a ticket, included cow enthusiasts, art collectors and spectators.

Massachusetts Market President Bob Gallery thanked the event’s sponsors and the auction attendees.

“As whimsical as the cows are, they are all here for a great cause,” Gallery said.