More than 200 jump barricade at Capitol protest

Multimedia Slideshow on fStop

An estimated 100,000 people took to the streets to march and rally against the war in Iraq in Washington, D.C. on Saturday. The protesters, led by veterans from Iraq and their family members, marched from the White House to the Capitol building. During the march down Pennsylvania Avenue, the street was packed shoulder to shoulder with people holding antiwar signs. Nearly 5,000 people participated in a “die-in” on the grounds of the Capitol. Shouting, “This is my house!”, many protesters jumped the barricade to the steps of the Capitol and were arrested by Capitol Police. The police arrested close to 200 protesters and used pepper spray on at least two people.

1. A protester fights with a police officer to be voluntarily arrested.

2. Former Marine Sgt. Adam Koesh prepares to jump over the barricade on the Capitol steps to get voluntarily arrested.

3. Jessica Ramirez, a UCLA senior, writes a phone number on the arm of a “die-in” participant. Participants exchanged numbers in case they were arrested and unable to contact people to get them out of jail.

4. A Capitol Police officer watches the crowd in front of the Capitol steps.

5. A policeman removes a protester from the crowd as she flashes a peace sign.

6. A protester gets help after Capitol Police sprayed him with pepper spray for trying to jump the barricade at the Capitol steps.

7. A protester dressed as the Brimm Reaper displays the number of U.S. soldiers who have died during the war in Iraq.

8. Lianne Gilooly, a CAS junior, prepares her sign in front of the White House for the march and the rally.

Inset: With the Washington Monument in the background, protesters march down Pennsylvania Avenue.