Cops force away Faithful after win

The celebration of the Boston Red Sox World Series-clinching victory was marred for hundreds waiting outside Fenway Park who were forced away by aggressive police officers trying to keep fans away from the stadium.

Boston Police Department officers, many on horseback and bicycles, drove crowds that had gathered to watch the final innings of the Red Sox’ pennant-capturing win over the Cleveland Indians down Brookline Avenue, past Landmark Center and toward Emmanuel College. Police released tear gas on crowds and some fans burned New York Yankees apparel, according to witnesses.

Many angry and confused fans said they did not understand the cops’ aggressive actions that first erupted during the eighth inning, when a Sox victory became inevitable.

“We figured we’d step out for a once-in-a-lifetime experience,” said Lasell University sophomore Seth Mantei. “There’s no reason to be kicking people out of the celebration. It’s Red Sox Nation, and Fenway is the capital. . . . They wouldn’t close down D.C. during the presidential election.”

Hudson, N.H. resident Jay Nickola, 20, said police had not informed fans they would have to leave the streets near the stadium and did not direct them where to go.

“This is awful,” Nickola said. “We don’t know where to go, only that we can’t go [toward the stadium]. Police are being extremely unhelpful. . . . This is not ’04. This is uncalled for.”

“I wish there weren’t so many cops,” said Jason Henriquez, 24. “I wish we could celebrate the victory. This is a little too much. We should be allowed to celebrate as long as we’re not breaking anything or causing trouble.”

Some fans said the BPD’s decision to use horses to corral the crowd was a potentially dangerous form of intimidation.

“To be honest, what bothers me is they’re using horses as weapons,” said Matthew Cianci, a 32-year-old Cambridge resident who filmed the police as they forced fans away from the stadium. “There’s just so much violence.”

Belligerent fans who resisted police demands to vacate the area were quickly offered warning before they were dragged to the ground and arrested by officers.

“My friend was just standing there, walking cooperatively,” said Emmanuel freshman Tucker Duclos, whose friend was apprehended by several officers outside the stadium. “He did nothing to provoke it. Maybe he gave them the finger.”

Earlier this month, Mayor Thomas Menino announced the city would crack down on security around Fenway throughout the playoffs by reducing drinking in bars and increasing the police force.

During the large-scale riots that followed the Red Sox victory in the 2004 American League Championship Series, police using riot-control beanbag guns accidentally shot and killed an Emerson College student. Some fans said this year’s police presence following last night’s victory was a direct response to the 2004 riots.

“If they weren’t here, people would go nuts,” said Fred Carberry, an Army soldier from Lawrence. “Police are careful. They don’t want people getting shot like last time. I’m glad they’re here.”

BPD officers on the scene declined official comment but said the situation was under control.