Taking back the streets

Last Friday evening, it was shaping up to be one of the coldest nights of the season so far.

Holiday shoppers in heavy coats and scarves shuffled quickly past the stores lining Copley Square near downtown Boston.

A few streets down, some others were seemingly undressed for the weather in lightweight clothing — but then they hopped on their bikes for a good, warming ride.

Though almost 100 people usually show up, the crowd of about 50 people do not let the smaller number deter them. The mass of bikers, which includes some Boston University students, straps on its helmets and hits the road.

Sparkling white lights coating a Christmas tree streak by, mixing with the fluorescent orange glow of street lamps to illuminate the darkened streets for the riders, who have flashing red lights attached to their bikes for visibility.

On the last Friday of every month, Boston cyclists take part in Critical Mass, an underground cycling movement in which cyclists reclaim the road and protest dangerous biking road conditions. They also bike to celebrate the environmental and health benefits that come from the choice to cycle around the city.

An underlying message of unity is crucial for those who participate in an estimated 325 cities around the world. Boston has its own hand in the movement, with many of its participants college students from the dozens of schools within a 50-mile radius.

This month, the cyclists keep their minds off the frigid weather by reminding themselves that an estimated 50,000 people are doing the exact same thing.

THE NAME OF THE GAME

Rider Dave Charnuska, who was introduced to the movement by several of his peers, said many of his riding companions are in their early 20s.

“Viral marketing,” the Northeastern University junior said. “[It] seems like the majority are college students.”

Riders like Beth Stone said she’s pleased to be a part of something that unites students from several schools, including BU, more city-centered schools and those across the Charles River.

“You get all sorts of kids from the city,” the College of Arts and Sciences junior said. “It’s a really exciting thing to see.”

As they hop on their multi-colored bikes of all shapes and sizes, many riders often form a human blockade to keep nearby cars at bay. As they travel close alongside one another, whoever is at the front of the pack leads the pack, Charnuska said.

Since its establishment in 1992, Critical Mass has had no official organizers or participants, according to its website. The movement was born from a small group of people who wanted to ride with a message, and word-of-mouth eventually brought the practice to other neighboring cities. Today, many cyclists even refuse to call the movement a type of organization.

Stone, who said she has participated in three Critical Mass bike rides before, recalled how a friend convinced her to join for her first Critical Mass ride during the Halloween weekend of her sophomore year.

“It’s kind of funny,” she said. “I didn’t even have a bike at school . . . so I borrowed my roommate’s bike. I found myself in a — quote unquote — protest. I felt like I was in a Seinfeld episode. But it was a lot of fun.”

SAFETY ON THE ROAD

One of the movement’s objectives emphasizes bicycle safety, a tenet that resonates in a big way with many BU Critical Mass riders after several BU student pedestrians were involved in car collisions on Commonwealth Avenue this semester.

“Currently, bike safety is very, very low on campus,” said CAS junior Leo Gameng, chair of the Student Union’s Campus Safety Committee.

The Commonwealth Avenue Improvement Project — a beautification project run by the Massachusetts Highway Department and endorsed by the City of Boston and BU that will not be completed until 2009 — has made its mark on the Charles River campus so far by congesting it with daily traffic and obstacles. Gameng said a separate bike lane down Commonwealth Avenue is currently up for discussion.

“It would involve more talking with the [CAP] committee, and it would involve more labor, which means more cost,” he said. “Everything is a suggestion, but as most suggestions and most lobbies, things happen, things don’t.”

In terms of safety, Stone said the best way to remain safe as a cyclist is to “pretend you’re a car.”

“That’s one thing they need to make people know,” she said. “The last place you would expect to see a bike is on the sidewalk.”

And despite the comfort level that comes with riding alongside fellow bikers, there are still inherent dangers when the helmet goes on and the stands go up, Stone said.

During one Critical Mass ride, she saw a driver hit a rider with his car. “He nudged him,” she said. “He was okay, but [the drivers] tend to get really pissed off.”

There were a total of 442 traffic fatalities in Massachusetts in 2005, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website. In a city notorious for its bad drivers, Boston Critical Mass participants are determined on getting their roads back. During rides many cyclists chant, “Whose streets? Our streets!” in a fervor that sometimes gets out of hand, Stone said.

“Sometimes people get too into it,” she said. “That’s when you see people banging on cars.”

Bicyclists have the same rights and duties as motor vehicle drivers under Massachusetts Law. A new bicycle safety bill is in the works that would increase police training on bicycle law and clarify how motor vehicle drivers can correctly pass or make turns in front of bicyclists. For some Critical Mass riders who rely solely on their bikes for transportation, bicycle safety is a top priority.

“[Bikes are] pretty much my main means of transportation,” Charnuska said.

ENJOYING THE RIDE

Aside from the bigger issues integrated into the movement’s objectives, riders like newcomer Alex Blackman participate in Critical Mass for the enjoyment of taking a few hours once a month to ride around the city.

“A little cold, but it’s exciting,” the Tufts University sophomore said. “I enjoy biking and I wanted to get into it more, [plus] I get to see more of the city.”

Stone said that in retrospect, Critical Mass was one of the main reasons she brought her bike to school.

“It’s a fun thing to do every month,” she said. “Everyone’s really nice. I met a lot of cool people.”

Charnuska, who said he has participated in Critical Mass twice, said it is a fun way to advocate for something he loves, but with just a small time commitment.

Some participants said there are usually more people at the Friday excursions, and the onset of colder weather may have lowered the number. Nevertheless, a December date has already been set, according to the Boston Critical Mass website.

Rider Alana Epstein, whose Friday ride marked her second time with Critical Mass, said she did not mind the cold weather as much as the strong wind.

“I don’t really mind [the weather] too much,” the Tufts sophomore said. “I wish more people were out tonight.”

With the number of cities practicing Critical Mass continuing to rise, Gameng said he hopes the “Whose roads?” slogan will be answered one day by “everybody’s.”

“Right now, the cars own the roads, and at some points, the T owns the roads,” he said. “Biking is a healthy way to get around campus. [Bikers] should have their portion of the road, cars should have their portion of the road and also pedestrians should have their road. Pedestrians, bikers, all cars — should be able to coexist without having all these accidents.”