Soccer, Sports

M. soccer extends streak

The Boston University men’s soccer team sits alone at the top of the America East standings after winning its fourth straight game Saturday, 2-1, against the University of New Hampshire.
BU fell behind early, but tallied twice to improve to 7-5-2 overall and 4-1-0 in the conference. With the loss, UNH fell to 6-4-3 and 1-3-1 in America East play.
‘Getting nine points on the road is difficult in this conference, so we’re real happy with that,’ BU coach Neil Roberts said. ‘We’ve been playing really well lately, so that’s a good sign. We go into the last three games and we can control where we end up. We just have to worry about ourselves right now and continue to get better.’
Junior Richy Dorman scored his first collegiate goal in the 87th minute to break a 1-1 tie. Classmate Tom Strackhouse crossed the ball to Dorman, who was unmarked in the box, and Dorman put a shot past UNH goalkeeper Colin O’Donnell.
‘[UNH] was playing with probably nine guys behind the ball at all times, so it was difficult to get behind them,’ Roberts said. ‘Tom played a good ball through, and Richy made a good run behind the blind side of the backs. Tom put the ball in. Richy got it and just put it in the near post.’
Saturday marked the first come-from-behind victory the Terriers have enjoyed since a 4-2 win over Colgate University on Sept. 20. BU fell behind in the 28th minute when UNH earned a corner kick. Senior Kyle Urso played the ball to sophomore Joe Corsello, who tapped it past BU keeper Hrafn Davidsson for his first collegiate goal.
The tally was the first scored against BU since Oct. 4 by the University at Albany, ending the Terriers’ three-game shutout streak.
‘We knew they were very dangerous off of set plays,’ Roberts said of UNH. ‘We didn’t handle it great and they really took advantage of it. They went up, 1-0, but we kept our composure and played well and kept moving the ball.’
The Terriers countered six minutes later when junior Shaun Taylor’s shot rebounded off O’Donnell and back to junior Samuel Appiah, who put it past O’Donnell into the upper-right corner.
The score remained tied, 1-1, until Dorman scored the game-winner with mere minutes remaining in regulation.
‘[The guys] knew what they had to do and they were doing it,’ Roberts said. ‘They knew the importance of the game and they knew they were doing what they needed to do. We just needed to make sure we didn’t have a breakdown defensively where they could counter-attack on us.’
BU played a dominant second half, holding UNH to four shots with only one on target. The Terriers limited the Wildcats’ corner kick opportunities in the latter frame. UNH had four corners in the first half, one of which it converted, but was held to one in the final period.
‘In the second half, we controlled it as much as we possibly could have controlled it,’ Roberts said. ‘We had the ball for probably about 80 percent of the half, so we were very pleased.

More Articles

Comments are closed.