Field Hockey, Sports

F. hockey resumes AE slate

Fresh off Wednesday’s 2-0 win over the No. 6 University of Connecticut, the Boston University field hockey team will venture back into America East play tomorrow when it travels to the University at Albany for a 1 p.m. contest.’
BU dropped its first conference game in more than two years last weekend, falling to the University of Maine, 2-1.
Wednesday against UConn, however, BU coach Sally Starr’s offensive adjustments had her team clicking on all cylinders.
‘It gives us confidence right now,’ Starr said of last weekend’s loss. ‘We kind of had a flat tire coming out of the Maine game, but we did a lot of things right in it. We got off 20 shots, but the girls came out deflated. I’m pleased with our resilience. They showed remarkable belief in themselves.’
Leading the charge for the Terriers in Starr’s new scheme is graduate student Sheena Berry, who doubled her season goal output Wednesday with a pair of first-half tallies.
‘I really prefer not to be specific,’ Starr said of her positional shakeup. ‘That being said, we definitely have moved some players around. I think it’s given us much more attack and helped us at both ends of the field.’
Regardless of whether the new look actually caught the Huskies off guard, the Terriers executed their plan to perfection.
‘This is a huge conference game for us,’ Starr said of tomorrow’s contest. ‘We’re playing for a berth in the conference tournament, and we’re playing for the opportunity to host. It doesn’t get much bigger than that. We have focused all season getting ready. I really anticipate a hard-fought game and to get back on the bus with a victory.’
If the Terriers are to continue their romp through America East, they must put forth a carbon copy of their most recent upset victory.
As important as offense is, matching the defensive effort that held the Huskies scoreless on 14 shots will be key.
‘Our corner defense has been outstanding all year,’ Starr said. ‘Tracey Paul, our associate head coach, has done a great job preparing them. She’s had some great gameplans and what defenses we’ve run have been outstanding.’
‘ Sophomore goalkeeper Kim Kastuk, who occupies sole possession of the league lead in shutouts, was stellar in net behind a defense that is communicating and moving fluidly through its defending zone.
Heading the defense’s active and pressing style is senior tri-captain Lizzy Perreault, whose four years in the Terrier system have made her a dominant presence in front of Kastuk.’
‘Kastuk has shown she can be an outstanding goalie,’ Starr said. ‘When she’s on, she’s excellent. We need her to stay hot and play to her full potential to have our success. She’s capable of it. She’s come up big. She’s ready to have a breakout performance through the rest of the season.’
Albany’s biggest offensive threat is forward Michele Polizois, who has reeled off 99 shots this season ‘-‘- 11 of which have reached the back of the cage.
‘UAlbany is an outstanding, well-coached team,’ Starr said. ‘They play hard. They compete. We anticipate a battle ‘-‘- a big battle.’
Albany goalkeeper Ashley Ross, who boasts three shutouts, ranks among the top netminders in America East along with Kastuk.
With a goals-against average of just more than two, Ross represents yet another quality backstop with which the Terriers will have to contend.