Cross Country, Sports

Cross country gears up for AE finals

In a tune-up for next week’s America East Championship, the Boston University cross country teams competed in the Central Connecticut State Mini Meet last Saturday in New Britain, Conn.
In the women’s event, BU dominated a field of 14 teams as three Terriers finished in the top five. Junior Sarah Mosser won the race, while sophomore Kathleen Davies finished third and senior Mollie Zapata took fifth.
The other six BU women finished in the top half of the field. The win marked the Terriers’ second of the season and continued their streak of having a runner place first in every meet this season.
The Terriers won despite resting two of their top performers ‘-‘- Andrea Walkonen and Erin Lagasse. Both women expect to have success in next week’s conference championship.
‘Walkonen won last year, so we’re hoping she can repeat,’ BU coach Bruce Lehane said. ‘With her and Lagasse, we have a shot at winning it.’
On the men’s side, only freshman Colin Lee competed in the meet. Lee finished 81st out of 148 runners. Since no one other than Lee ran for BU, the Terriers did not get a team score in the race that the University of New Hampshire won.
‘I wanted to give most of the guys a rest instead of running back-to-back weekends,’ Lehane said. ‘We have a lot of young runners, so I want to make sure they have plenty of time to recover for the America East race.’
Lehane said he hopes his team can make it into the top three for next week, but it will face stiff competition from UNH, Stony Brook University and Binghamton University.
The America East Championship will take place this Saturday at Oregon Ridge Park in Baltimore, Md.