Taxi cab driver makes no confessions

The following reports were taken from the Boston Police Department Allston-Brighton District D-14 crime logs from Oct. 27 to Nov. 2

Officers saw a taxi cab crash into a traffic signal pole in Brighton around 11 p.m. Oct. 30. While stopped at a red light during regular patrol, an officer saw that the taxi had driven onto the median and crashed into the traffic signal pole, causing the poll to fall onto the cab. After spinning the wheels and causing the rear tires to smoke, the taxi driver successfully reversed out from under the pole, off the median and drove away at high speed. The officer followed the taxi with his emergency lights on, and when the driver eventually pulled over, the officer ordered him to step out of the cab. When the driver got out of the taxi, he was unsteady and had to grab the side of his taxi to keep from falling. He smelled strongly of alcohol and said ‘I didn’t hit any light’ when the officer asked him why he had fled the scene. The cabdriver refused a field sobriety and a breathalyzer test and was arrested for driving under the influence and for leaving the scene of property damage.

Snap into some
. . . handcuffs

An off-duty Boston College police officer reported a larceny in progress at a Tedeschi Food Shop around 12:57 a.m. Oct. 30. The off-duty officer told police he saw two men stealing merchandise from the store while a woman spoke with the clerk. The men walked in and out of the store several times to empty their pockets of food they had not paid for. En route to the store, the officers stopped one of the men who had food in his pockets and an open bottle of rum. Police also found food in the pockets of the other man and found that the woman had two warrants out for her arrest. The store clerk confirmed none of the items ‘-‘- a total value of $33.07, including Slim-Jims, evaporated milk, Jello and A.1. Steak Sauce ‘-‘- had been paid for.

Charge it!

A man reported to officers he was robbed while walking at 1 a.m. Nov. 1. He said at least six people on bikes with half ski masks approached him on the street and reached into the his pocket and pulled out his Apple iPhone. A man in the bike group asked what else the caller had in his pockets and the caller told him he had his wallet. The man took the cash, but returned the caller his wallet when he asked if he could keep his credit cards and identification.

A crime only a
dentist could love

Police responded to a report of shoplifting at a Rite-Aid at 7:32 p.m. Oct. 27. A security guard at the pharmacy told officers an employee had grabbed a man attempting to steal more than $600 worth of toothbrushes. The manager said that, as he called police, the shoplifter managed to escape the store. All toothbrushes were recovered.