STAFF EDIT: Blind ambitions

It was only three years ago that Tufts University President Lawrence Bacow declared need-blind admission, which would admit applicants regardless of their financial status, was the ‘socially responsible thing to do.” But while colleges struggle financially during the economic crisis, many have not yet committed to offering need-blind admission to the class of 2013.’ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘

Boston University is among those schools that have yet to make a final decision on whether to continue practicing need-blind admission next year. If BU or any other colleges are still questioning whether or not to get rid of need-blind-admission, the answer is a resounding ‘no.’ Understandably, colleges are looking for any way possible to cut costs. But lower and middle-class families trying to send their kids to college are even worse off than the university.’ The last thing they need is for their academically talented children to be rejected for financial reasons.

When colleges overlook academics in favor of finances, everyone loses. This sends the message that working hard throughout your high school career has less value than the balance of your bank account.’ Meanwhile, the quality of the student body at the university also suffers.’ Prospective students want to attend a prestigious university, because they know their peers are equally intelligent individuals who want to succeed.’ Taking away need-blind admission will create a homogeneous atmosphere of wealthy students who were admitted over more academically talented students, and this is not the type of place a prospective student wants to spend the next four years of their life.

‘ ‘ The nearly $50,000 annual BU price tag is enough to turn potentially successful students away before they even consider applying.’ Taking away need-blind admission would only make matters worse.’ ‘ BU is not known as an economically diverse school to begin with, and taking away need-blind admission would only enhance this negative reputation.

Not admitting students because they are unable to afford to go to college starts a vicious cycle.’ It freezes individuals in their socio-economic classes, because poorer, academically gifted students are stripped of their ability to seek higher education, get better jobs and earn higher wages. They, in turn, will be unable to afford sending their children to college, continuing the cycle. Raising tuition and cutting financial aid must be avoided at all costs to maintain the ‘American Dream.’

Those universities that are feeling insecure about their financial futures should look toward the Massachusetts Institute of Technology for guidance.’ Like other schools, MIT is cutting back on spending by reducing next year’s budget by 5 percent.’ Instead of getting rid of its need-blind admission, MIT is postponing a dormitory project.

BU has acted similarly with President Robert Brown’s hiring freeze, which was announced in October and came along with a moratorium on construction projects not already underway.’ Any future cuts from BU should follow the same path, instead of a decision that could reduce the caliber of the BU student body.

When a university determines admission regardless of need, it is making an investment in each prospective student. If a gifted but financially disadvantaged student turns out to be as good as advertised, he or she is more likely to be successful upon graduation and give money back to BU, which, in time, could even resolve this situation.

This economic downturn may continue for a long period of time.’ Sacrifices from Americans and America’s colleges and universities will have to be made,’ but these sacrifices need not include making it more difficult for hard-working high school students and their families to afford the quality educations they deserve. BU and other universities will need to make a combination of smart spending cuts and find innovative ways to save money to be able to pursue and mentor the best and brightest students in the world, rather than the wealthiest.’ As a result, the University’s reputation and students’ finances will benefit in the long run.’ There may be ‘a lot of competition for institutional funding’ but making education as affordable as possible should be one of the university’s highest priorities.